Hiring region: US-remote, UK-remote
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to empower the world’s developers. Every day, millions of engineers come to us to get answers to their programming questions, collaborate better with their teams, and find their next dream job. As the world continues to transform with technology as a leading force, we’re driven to make Stack Overflow a place where everyone who codes feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
At Stack Overflow, our Senior Developers are expected to be able to work independently, assist their teammates, and mentor more junior developers. As a senior developer you will perform as a high productivity engineer working with multiple team members across multiple disciplines and technologies.
Recent projects we're very proud of include::
- Creating a brand new product to facilitate communication with authors of widely known technologies.
- Rebuilding our entire onboarding flow to increase user adoption
- Creating self serve work flows to enable ad-hoc customers
- Building a feature to report and quality control ads on the Stack Exchange network
- Redesigning our job board to make navigation easier and more efficient
You'll work primarily in our main tech stack of C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server, with supporting technologies like Redis, TypeScript, and Elasticsearch. If you’re not familiar with our specific tech stack, we'll pair you with mentors who will help you bridge the gaps. As a company dedicated to increasing developer knowledge, we’ll give you the resources and support you need to develop mastery in your craft.
We expect to see:
- Extensive programming skills in your language of choice (not necessarily ours) and a track record of getting stuff done. You are adept at shipping high quality, well-tested code in a fast paced environment.
- 5+ years of full-stack web development experience with any major server-side stack, databases, and modern front-end (JS, HTML, CSS). Experience in our stack is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, or Kanban. You’ve been on teams that practice Agile and you understand why it’s beneficial for the team.
- A track record of leading and mentoring less experienced developers. You are eager to teach others and invested in the growth of your team.
- Self-motivating, self-directing, and a great communicator (written and oral). You thrive in an environment that grants you a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions.
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- An active Stack Overflow profile, open source code, example projects that you're proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog, podcasts, and other public artifacts. Ideas about how to evolve the platform and increase our impact on the developer community are even better.
- Experience with community-based applications and business to business systems.
- Skills working with large amounts of data or high traffic applications
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). We also believe in strong work-life balance and are focused on making sure you have a positive work experience, in-office or remotely.