As a backend software engineer at GrubHub, you will be responsible for building and owning one of the many critical services on our platform. You'll design and build distributed, scalable applications, participate in design discussions, vendor evaluation, tooling decisions, and provide innovative solutions to address business problems and needs. You'll work within your team and across the company to understand the domain and learn and contribute to the codebase while sharing knowledge.
We're all about building distributed, scalable, highly available, low latency technology that connects hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms, and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team you become part of a community that collaborates to innovate, solve challenging problems, grow, work hard, and have a ton of fun in the process!
We have many different backend software engineer roles open across the organization from security to payments and order taking to delivery. You'll be presented with different roles and can choose your area of interest.
Depending on your preference and location the position can be fully remote, in office, or hybrid.
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
The Impact You Will Make
- You'll gain expertise in your domain and build highly scalable & reliable additions to our platform
- You'll be accountable for delivery, deployment, maintenance, and monitoring the performance of your applications and the platform as a whole
- You'll evaluate tools, technologies, frameworks, and vendors for the platform along with other senior team members
- You'll write performant and concise code to meet the defined standards here at GrubHub, review the code of peers, and ensure security and scalability of the features you work on
- You'll help to create the backlog of tech debt and features, suggesting areas for improvement and enhancement
- You'll actively work with other team members in the domain and be a team player
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor's Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies
- Experience mentoring/coaching engineers along with overseeing the technical work of developers from other teams or 3rd party vendors
- Experience working in a test-driven development environment
- Java, C#, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Knowledge of or experience with developing distributed systems; experience with cloud computing services such as AWS is a plus
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB)
- Experience with event-driven architecture is a plus
- Experience with big-data frameworks such as spark/hadoop is a plus
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO . Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Vaccination Requirement: Grubhub employees are required to be fully vaccinated, and must be able to show proof of full-Covid-19 vaccination, and booster if eligible, prior to starting employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as: "2 weeks have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's vaccine." Those eligible to receive the booster must receive the booster to be considered fully vaccinated, and those not yet eligible will be required to obtain the booster once eligible (6 months post last dose).
"Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]