Senior Software Engineer (Cat Person) at Harry's Inc. (Greater NYC Area, NY or Remote)
What is Cat Person?
Cat Person is a new DTC (direct-to-consumer) brand shaking up the $75B pet industry by bringing respect, love and innovation to a long overlooked and underserved category: cat care. We started Cat Person because we saw a real need: thoughtfully designed food and goods made just for cats and the people who love them.
Launched in March 2020, and born out of Harry’s Labs, the innovation arm of Harry's Inc., Cat Person offers a line of essentials to help cat parents better care for their cats, including food, treats, furniture and toys. A design-forward brand, we consider both the cat’s and the cat person’s needs in everything we make and do. It’s all part of our mission: to make life with cats even more awesome than it already is.
Though small, our vision is grand. We aren’t just here to revolutionize cat care for the millions of cat parents in the US; we’re redefining what it means to be a cat person in culture today. Every role at Cat Person plays a part in redefining cat persons for the modern era.
About the Role
The Senior Full Stack Engineer is one of the key members of the Cat Person e-commerce team and is responsible for architecting and developing robust solutions to create seamless customer experiences and optimize our headless Shopify e-commerce site. Since Cat Person is a DTC business, this is a critical role to driving growth. You will be responsible for bringing our brand and products to life on the web by partnering with Product to tackle an ambitious product roadmap, ranging from the implementation of new features within our subscription e-commerce site to translating imaginative creative experiences into conversion-friendly landing pages.
Who you are:
You are eager to play an instrumental role in shaping our culture and capabilities as a tech-enabled CPG startup. You thrive in a collaborative environment that practices lean, user-centered, Agile software development. You are a full-stack web developer excited about how your responsibilities will evolve and expand over time as our company grows and realizes our vision to become a category leader. You are a lifelong learner who enjoys picking up new technologies and ways of working. You’re seeking to drive tangible impact in your next career opportunity. Experience working at an early-stage startup or in environments of fast change and ambiguity is a plus.
What you will accomplish:
- Deliver high-quality software in the form of enhancements and new features on a continuous basis
- Translate wireframes/visual designs into high-quality and high-performing code. Ensure the technical feasibility of designs while maintaining user-centric focus.
- Partner with internal stakeholders (e.g., Product, Growth, Creative) to shape our outcome-oriented digital product roadmap
- Support A/B testing with front-end experiences
- Implement technical capabilities to help grow and understand our business, including but not limited to data visualization and behavioral analytics
- Oversee all code reviews, troubleshooting, and QA efforts to drive seamless and high-quality customer experiences
- Expert in analyzing and optimizing front-end performance
- Deep understanding of cross-browser/platform issues and code solutions
- Write clean, readable code and tests
- Knowledge of automation/deployment best practices and experience using / working with production deployment workflows
- No task too small mentality, willing to roll up sleeves and get things done
- Passion for working in a lean, agile, startup environment
Nice to Have Qualifications:
- Experience with Shopify and Recharge; headless Shopify experience a plus
- Experience working with and processing data from web APIs (e.g., Google Analytics, Klaviyo)
- Experience with agile development environment and process
- Strong knowledge of QA best practices, identifying and resolving front-end errors and visual bugs
About Cat Person
Cat Person is a new brand committed to strengthening the relationship between cats and cat persons by delivering cat care essentials - including food, treats and products - that are specially made for the unique needs of cats, and thoughtfully designed for their people. By putting modern feline lovers at the center of their research, design, and marketing processes, Cat Person is prioritizing the unmet needs of this fragmented, $75 billion pet market and flipping the script on the stereotype about cat owners. The company was founded by a small team of passionate cat people and launched in March 2020. Today, it is part of the Harry's Inc. family of brands.
Cat Person and Harry’s Inc. are committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
We have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Cat Person is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Cat Person’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company
This role can be done remotely, however there may be location constraints based on where Harry's is registered and able to employ individuals. Please work with your recruiter and your hiring manager to understand any location constraints. We are authorized and able to employ individuals in many, but not all states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where we are registered or able to employ individuals, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more.