Senior Software Engineer (Core API Team) at Peloton
As a member of Peloton’s Engagement API team you’ll be the one powering every user experience across Bike, Tread, mobile, web, and TV in four different countries. We help users take live and on-demand classes, send each other high-fives, compete on the leaderboard, take part in challenges, discover new music, and much more. We are building an API that changes people’s lives, you can check out the Peloton members page and see what our users are up to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pelotonmembers/.The Role
We are looking for collaborative engineers who have expertise in microservices. You'll help guide our efforts in building services for our backend API. You will work with the team to break out services relevant to our expanding business domains and produce high quality, reliable software for our internal and external users.
You are someone who thinks about simplicity, and works to provide solutions that reduce the complexity across services. You are team-focused and prioritize collective learning in addition to solving problems. You build collective ownership amongst the team by contributing to code reviews, designs, whiteboarding, and pair-programming.Expectations:
In your first weeks, you’ll learn about our API start to familiarize yourself with some of the challenges that we are facing. You'll contribute to our existing efforts to build a service-oriented architecture and split out services from the monolithic application.
In the following months you'll start contributing to major features and evaluate how they can fit into a service-oriented architecture. You'll help make the tough decisions around migrating code and databases, and transition traffic from our monolith to our new services and ensure their success. Finally, you'll help educate new team members and promote ways to improve quality across all our services.Requirements:
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- Strong understanding of RDBMS, specifically Postgres
- Strong understanding of database optimizations, operations, and management
- Understanding of interactions of databases in a microservice world, specifically with respect to complex service interactions
- Understanding of complex, scalable N:N data models
- Strong fundamentals in microservice architecture
- Understanding of options for complex joins across multiple services
- Understanding of pros/cons of monolithic vs. service architectures
- Understanding of mainstream service protocols
- Understanding of both stateful and stateless service architecture
- Experience with monolith to service migrations
- Experience with a non-RDBMS databases (DynamoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Experience with data modeling across different services
- Building, testing, deploying, and monitoring services
- Understand HTTP, TCP, SSL in API and client contexts
- Advocate a test-driven mentality
- Experience developing with Python or other object-oriented languages
- Experience writing APIs for client applications (web, mobile, TV, hardware)
- Nice to Have Experience:
- Migrating monolithic applications into smaller services
- RPC design
- Event based architecture
- AWS technology
- Java or Kotlin
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses and retail showrooms in the US, UK and Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 and Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.