At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
As a Software Engineer, Core Payments, you will leverage your experience in scaling systems, enhancing fault-tolerance, and integrating with both internal and external APIs. You will gain or deepen your understanding of the technical side of the payments industry, and how monetary transactions increasingly rely on and integrate with software like Justworks. You might be interested in Fintech, payments, ACH, or money-movement platforms—or you might be an excellent engineer who’s agnostic about your domain. You understand and use automated testing as a productivity multiplier. You will be working primarily in Ruby on Rails (at least for now), but prior knowledge is not a requirement; however, prior knowledge of RoR or the payments industry is strongly preferred.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Own substantial pieces of a multi-billion dollar payroll operation
- Grow with the modernizing payments industry, revolutionizing the way money moves nationally
- Add capabilities to our high-volume, fault-tolerant processing infrastructure
- Integrate with banks to provide timely and accurate payments to many thousands of customers
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to find solutions to customer challenges
- Keep extremely sensitive data compartmentalized and secure
- Mentor, tech-lead, & level-up more junior colleagues, contributing directly to their growth and success
As a Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- 5+ years preferred of professional hands-on experience
- A desire to improve systems with high impact and failure-cost
- Solid understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Experience integrating with internal and/or external services
- Experience working with complicated systems at scale
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience on the technical side of payments (Wire, RTP, FinTech, ACH, banking, Zelle, finance)
- Ruby on Rails, React, MySQL, AWS, Git
- ElasticSearch, Docker, DataDog, InfluxDB, Redshift, Jenkins, Nagios
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment