Senior Software Engineer (Edge)
We are on the brink of the next industrial revolution. New York-based Oden Technologies is an intelligent industrial automation company that provides manufacturers with the most efficient way to make a product. Its AI-powered production software is designed to help manufacturers attain the best performance out of their factory assets and deliver actionable recommendations. With Oden, employees on the floor can diagnose and mitigate issues as soon as they arise or offer alerts to avoid issues.
Why We Do It:
We like to enable those who make things - to make more, to waste less, to serve their customers, and to thrive in a competitive world. Help enough makers, and the world can give us all the abundance we want for less cost and environmental impact. We’re on the verge of a 4th industrial revolution that begs for absolute efficiency in all factors of life. We plan to deliver that to everyone who makes things.
- We foster trust, collaboration and personal development in our team, clients, and society
- We communicate openly in all directions, embracing failure
- We face new challenges and information head on, everyone’s impact matters
- We learn from our mistakes and move forward with purpose and plan
- We are building a community of those who create and move boundaries, with ownership and passion
Software Engineers on the Platform team develop capabilities to collect data from the factory in a low-latency, robust fashion and provide a projection of our cloud capabilities on to the factory floor. The goal is to continue to deliver high performance and secure capabilities in the presence of internet outages so that our clients have continuity for their mission critical processes. Some questions we explore are:
- How do we efficiently scale and support high volumes of data?
- How do we build robust and fault tolerant capabilities to eliminate single points of failure?
- How do we extend critical function to run on both the cloud and on the factory floor?
- How do we adopt industrial automation technologies into our own development practices and understanding of new verticals from plastic extrusion to injection molding and others?
Software Engineers at Oden are self-starters and team players, during the product development lifecycle they collaborate closely with project engineering, solutions architects, customer success, product, and data science to design the best solution. We believe that the best way to understand the needs of our users is to stand in their shoes, so occasionally we’ll tour factories and engage face-to-face. This position comes with steel toe boots.
You will get hands on experience in our lab with actual industrial hardware and learn the inner workings of what makes a factory tick.
It doesn’t matter what industries and languages you have experience in, but it does matter that you’re motivated to learn. At Oden we’re always expanding into new manufacturing verticals, and we’re passionate about using the best tool for the job.
The Oden Edge Platform plays a critical role in Oden stack, and requires someone who will uphold the highest standards of quality, accountability, and attention to detail.
What We Do:
- Write critical code that is the entry point for client data at scale.
- Test end to end, verify new Edge Hardware, features, integrations and machine protocols in our lab and in our virtual test environment.
- Work closely with Sales, Customer Service Managers and our clients to gather requirements and feedback for the features and tools that go into our future releases.
- Understand industrial automation hardware such as PLCs, sensors, and HMIs, Historians and other data sources.
- Execute best practices of coding and testing standards.
- Take part in code and design reviews.
What We Value:
- Computer Science degree or similar field of study or equivalent practical experience
- 6-8 years experience in software development using languages such as Python, C, Go or similar.
- Understanding networking fundamentals and common networking architectures
- Understanding of distributed systems architectures and developing fault tolerant systems
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as Docker/VMWare
Nice to Have:
- Exposure to PLCs and industrial automation and control systems
- Worked on systems that process large amounts of streaming data, performant application execution, etc
- Experience writing applications that use Modbus, MQTT, OPC/UA, EtherNet/IP, and other industrial protocol communications
As we build out Oden’s core engineering team, it’s critical that we find the best possible candidates, both in terms of skill set and cultural fit. We take pride in hiring amazing engineers who love to build great products, and have designed a hiring process that will help you learn about Oden as much as it will help us learn about you.
Step 1: A quick phone/video call to answer your questions and get to know you a little better.
Step 2: A take home challenge to make sure you have the basic chops we need.
Step 3: In-house interviews
Step 4: We reach out to references you provide.
Step 5: The decision. After checking references we’ll reach out to you within two business days to let you know the decision. We don’t like to keep people waiting, and we’ll give you feedback regardless of the decision.
What We Offer You:
- Measurable impact to the world. You have the chance to help actual people - family businesses, entrepreneurs, engineers - that will also result in improvements for many.
- Exposure to many tech disciplines, most of which are rapidly evolving.
- A bridge between the physical and cloud worlds of tech. Our platform unites big data visualizations with sensors, M2M tech, and heavy industrial equipment.
- A platform that has the potential to evolve beyond what we have envisioned now.
- Scientific and transparent thinking, for everyone involved.
- We have backing by world leaders of both industry and tech that will ensure long term growth and development for us.
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Diversity at Oden means building a team that is rich across all boundaries of race, ethnicity, gender identification, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age and thinking style. We welcome all backgrounds, life experiences, and worldviews as this is the catalyst for the rapid evolution of our product and our organization. Diversity allows us to tackle new challenges, embrace change, make well-informed decisions, and ultimately Make Things Better. In alignment with our “People First” company value, Oden has a passionate internal team dedicated to the promotion of diversity and inclusion initiatives as a core component of our culture.
Our diversity initiatives apply to our practices and policies on recruiting, compensation and benefits; professional development; promotions; social activities and the ongoing development of a psychologically safe work environment.