Senior Software Engineer II: Storage at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building features that developers love.
DigitalOcean’s Storage Team is a remote team that builds and operates cloud-scale distributed storage powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly, easily, and safely as possible. We’re looking for engineers who can strengthen a team responsible for end to end design, implementation, and operations of DigitalOcean’s storage systems. We are looking for a Senior Engineer who will work on a small team to develop across the whole stack of our current and future systems. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Storage team. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA, according to candidate preference.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Programming in Go, Python, and other languages
- Supporting the operations and management of distributed systems
- Leading engineering efforts around idiomatic, flexibly designed solutions
- Collaborating with an agile, self-motivated team of peers
- Consuming from and contributing to free/open source software communities
- Solving interesting problems at cloudscale in a technically rewarding environment
- Experience leading the design and implementation of production solutions at cloudscale
- Experience developing, testing, and shipping well-engineered code (Go a plus!)
- Experience testing, automating, operating, and troubleshooting production systems
- Experience with Linux operating systems and familiarity with networking fundamentals
- Experience with containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) and service-oriented architectures
- Experience consuming and/or interacting with a variety of data stores such as relational databases, key-value stores, timeseries, full-text search engine, and message queues (Specific experience with MySQL, TimescaleDB, Prometheus, Kafka, Elasticsearch, and Consul a plus!)
- Experience contributing meaningfully to discussions on architectures, implementations, design patterns, and processes with the ability to succinctly convey ideas to peers and mentees
- Familiarity with concurrency / parallelism models in a modern programming language
- Familiarity with HTTP and RPC servers, TLS, DNS, and Layer 4 and Layer 7 load balancing
- Bonus: Experience with gRPC, S3, and distributed storage systems such as Ceph
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!