Senior Software Engineer - Media Platform at Squarespace
Squarespace Media Platform team is looking for backend engineers to build the services powering our interactive web and mobile applications. We are looking for a senior software engineer with experience accomplishing complex projects, able to explain coherently what their systems do and what their roles played in those projects. You have experience in large-scale distributed system design, micro-services and cloud solutions; be hands-on with delivering high-quality code; someone who is result oriented but also forward-looking by anticipating long-term needs and building extendable solutions.
If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of projects and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! You will report to the Media Platform Engineering Manager in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees.
- Design systems and components, write server-side code for high-volume production services.
- Manage complex projects and lead project team end-to-end.
- Work with other engineers, designers and product development to provide customer-focused experiences.
- Explore new technologies that are at the forefront of image, audio and video processing, storage and streaming technologies.
- Ensure the reliability of systems to users and businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Contribute to team and company standards.
- Mentor and coaching junior team members.
- Project management and software lifecycle management skills.
- 5+ years industry experience developing software using Java or other OO language. With 1+ year in a leadership capacity.
- Experience developing large-scale distributed systems. Familiar with the behaviors of different transaction control and consistency models.
- Experience with web application (e.g. RESTful API) development.
- Experience with micro-service architecture.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability. Experience with SQL.
- Work well with peers at different levels in different organizations within the company
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms and system design practices.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class