Senior Software Engineer, Node.js at Dataminr
--COVID-19 Hiring Update--
As the health and safety of our candidates and our employees come first, we're excited to provide virtual experiences for interviews and new hire on-boarding.
Who we are:
Dataminr puts real-time AI and public data to work for our clients, generating relevant and actionable alerts for global corporations, public sector agencies, newsrooms, and NGOs. Our leading AI platform detects the earliest signals of high-impact events and emerging risks from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our real-time alerts enable tens of thousands of users at hundreds of public and private sector organizations to learn first of breaking events around the world, develop effective risk mitigation strategies, and respond with confidence as crises unfold.
Dataminr is making its mark for growth and innovation, recently earning recognition on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Forbes AI 50 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists. We also earned accolades for ‘Most Innovative Use of AI’ from the 2020 AI & Machine Learning Awards.
Join our team and help the world manage risk in real time. You’ll work with 800+ talented people across eight offices, united by our passion to collaborate, make a difference, and have fun while doing it!
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Job Type: Contract
Who you are:
You're an experienced software engineer with superb software development skills interested in helping us build reliable systems that deliver actionable information to our customers in real-time. As well as owning significant parts of our backend systems, you'll mentor and train other engineers and care about how to make the team more effective every day.
What you've done before:
- Built APIs from scratch using NodeJS and Express based frameworks
- Built complex integrations and ETL pipelines for data synchronization
- Developed and deployed code to AWS Lambda (using the serverless framework or similar)
- Defined database schema, managed migrations and developed queries using both SQL and NoSQL databases
- Deployed applications to AWS and have familiarity with common services and developing using the AWS SDK
- Demonstrated excellent problem solving skills and solid understanding of backend technologies
- Gathered business requirements and translated them into technical requirements
- Strong with TypeScript
- Familiarity with code versioning tools including Git and CI/CD systems such as Gitlab Pipelines or Circle CI
- Familiarity with Swagger
- Created and used Postman collections for API testing
- API testing frameworks (e.g. Jest, Mocha)
What success looks like in this role:
In this role, you will build the backend applications that allow frontend and mobile applications to retrieve terabytes of alert data in real-time and:
- contribute code to production systems from the get-go.
- spend time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our tech stack and infrastructure with overview sessions and deep dives with your team.
- design significant features that impact multiple platforms and apps.
- own portions of our product suite and be responsible for reliability.
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, colour, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.
Dataminr will collect and process your personal data. All personal data will be processed in accordance with Dataminr’s job candidate privacy notice available here: https://www.dataminr.com/irecandidatenotice.
For individuals applying for US-based roles:
Dataminr is requiring that all prospective employees hired for this position present proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Dataminr is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, medical reasons, or other legally protected reasons, should contact their recruiting representative as soon as possible following any conditional offer of employment to explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Dataminr is able to offer.
For individuals applying for Australian-based roles:
Dataminr requires (as a condition of employment) that the successful candidate for this position be fully vaccinated with a recognized and approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to commencing employment. The successful candidate will be required to present proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment.
Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a legally protected reason should contact their recruiting representative as soon as possible following any offer of employment to explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Dataminr is able to offer.