Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about designing and operating secure systems at scale.
We are looking for someone who is familiar with our stack, understands our tools, is comfortable working remote, enjoys working in open source, and is excited about our mission.
At DO, we believe in: Creating simple, yet powerful, foundations (with 💕) from which our community can build. The Performance Engineering team delivers on this mission by ensuring DigitalOcean’s operating system and virtualization stack is a performant foundation for product offerings.
Our Stack: Python, C, Chef, Go, libvirt, Linux, KVM, OVS, QEMU
Our Tools: docker, k8s, Prometheus, Concourse, Elasticsearch, GSuite, Jira, Slack
Our Team: Performance Engineering is part of the Systems Engineering group. The Systems Engineering group is currently made up of about thirty, mostly senior, engineers located across the US, Canada, and Germany with two engineers in the NY office and is supported by a Senior Engineering Manager. The Performance Engineering sub-team is part of the Systems Tooling and Automation team supported by an Engineering Manager.What You’ll Be Doing:
While work will vary based on quarterly priorities and initiatives, some examples include:
- Development of performance regression analysis testing automation
- Developing and maintaining realistic benchmark applications that emulate our customers
- Development of telemetry for fleet performance analysis
- Triaging and fixing operating system issues impacting the performance of product offerings
- Performance analysis of OS stack and fleet hardware updates
- Consultation for product performance regressions and new product performance acceptance criteria
- Visualizing and presenting performance data to be leveraged for technology and business decisions
- 5-20% of your time is spent on innovation, education, and/or open source
- Professional experience in performance engineering
- Technical leadership experience (preferably in the Linux/Open Source space)
- Experience as a developer / engineer in a large scale, distributed environment
- Experience writing secure, testable and robust code
- Deep understanding of Linux and OS internals
- Experience proactively diagnosing performance issues across all layers of the stack
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with data analytics
- Machine learning experience is a huge plus
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!