TrialSpark is a technology-driven drug development company that runs end-to-end clinical trials, focused on bringing new treatments to patients faster and more efficiently.
The biggest bottleneck in bringing new treatments to patients is the clinical trial. On average, getting a drug through the trial process takes nearly a decade and frequently costs $1B+. To combat this industry problem, TrialSpark has built a technology platform that optimizes all aspects of a clinical trial, enabling more efficient trial design, faster trial completion, and higher trial data quality.
TrialSpark recently raised their Series C, and is putting the capital to work by in-licensing and co-developing drug programs through in-house development, joint ventures, and NewCos. Together with doctors, patients, and communities, TrialSpark is working to develop the treatments of tomorrow.About the Position
Platform Engineering is a small team of systems-oriented Engineers building simple and sustainable systems including application infrastructure, CI/CD, observability, automation, data pipelines, and numerous libraries and frameworks essential to fullstack development. We’re looking for a teammate who consistently solves the problems that slow down growing tech teams.
As Senior Platform Engineer you will be responsible for core infrastructure and processes that enable our tech teams to build, test, release, monitor, iterate and scale, faster and at increasing levels of quality. You will collaborate with Engineering and Data teams to understand infrastructure requirements and guide their evolution as our technical operations grow in both scale and complexity. You will own end-to-end outcomes that move our teams forward. Ultimately, your work will define the quality and velocity of TrialSpark’s technology, and thus our ability to deliver new treatments to patients faster and more efficiently.
Some of the projects we’re working on:
- Deploying a system to securely and reliably execute asynchronous and scheduled tasks
- Building a system to rapidly spin up and tear down test environments to enable end-to-end testing multiple builds in parallel
- Managing critical cloud assets in AWS with Terraform
- Integrating data migrations into our deploy pipeline to eliminate their toil
- Upgrading core infrastructure while minimizing downtime
- Rolling out disaster recovery drills to ensure the team is prepared to respond to incidents
- Empowering Product Engineering with observability to identify and resolve performance and quality issues
- Optimizing our Docker images for build and deploy speed
- Evolving our data infrastructure enable decision-making with insights from hundreds of millions of health records
- Build, maintain, and evolve critical infrastructure to accommodate growing business needs and product complexity.
- Manage and evolve TrialSpark’s cloud ecosystem (AWS and Aptible) with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform).
- Evolve our CI/CD infrastructure (CircleCI, GitHub Actions) and scale our monorepo to meet the needs of rapid product development
- Promote observability across all systems (DataDog, SumoLogic, etc.)
- Partner with Product Engineering to understand and improve TrialSpark’s development process and tooling
- Develop frameworks, APIs, and libraries to support and enable our fullstack developers (Typescript/Python3) and data analysts (DBT/SQL, Python3, Jenkins/Groovy)
- Partner with our Analytics team to maintain and evolve our modern data stack as necessary (Looker, Redshift, DBT, Stitch)
- Build and manage robust automation and data ingestion systems (Jenkins, Kubernetes, AWS Glue, Batch, Lambda, etc.)
- Define and deliver on roadmaps for medium- to long-term projects that continuously improve our infrastructure and products.
- Help oversee the security of our systems and data.
- Inform major design, architecture, and capacity planning decisions for the engineering team by applying a seasoned systems perspective.
- Enforce best practices and promote testability, quality, security, and maintainability throughout our systems and codebases.
- Evangelize simplicity and continuous improvement. Lead by example in all work you deliver.
- Three or more years of professional software development experience preferably in an infrastructure-heavy role (SRE, DevOps Engineer, etc.)
- Fluency in at least one programming language (you’ll work in Python, Bash, and others)
- Comfortable with Unix and in the shell
- Deep knowledge of Docker and cloud technologies
- Experience designing, deploying, and managing cloud infrastructure
- Excellent problem solving and debugging skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey complicated systems to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with infrastructure as code tools (Ansible, Terraform, etc)
- Experience with automation and scheduling infrastructure (e.g. Jenkins, Kubernetes, Airflow, Prefect, Luigi, AWS Glue, Batch, Lambda, etc.)
- Experience working in a regulated environment (Healthcare, Finance, etc.)
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field
You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.