Senior Software Engineer - Product Backend at Squarespace
Senior Software Engineer, Product Backend
Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build and scale the services powering our interactive web and mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely “how it looks” but “how it works.” With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! You will report to the Product Engineering Team Lead in our New York City headquarters.
- Write server-side code, create high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly.
- Develop new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services with Java
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to provide strong customer-focused experiences.
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Squarespace users and businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, readable code).
- Actively contribute to team and company standards.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Development experience in Java, Python, Go or another Object-oriented language. Experience developing large-scale software preferred.
- An understanding of, and practical experience with, web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable code.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.