Senior Software Engineer, Product at Cityblock Health (Greater NYC Area, NY or Remote)
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs-bringing better care to where it's needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that "health is local" and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet's Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we'll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
We are looking for an Engineer to add substantial value to our primary internal application used by hundreds of care providers. Our efforts to date have focused on enabling our clinical teams to engage with patients, collect structured data about medical, behavioral, and social needs, and develop personalized care plans that drive good health. You will join our Engineering team which works closely with our design, product management, data science, and clinical operations teams to create a digital product experience that enables clinical teams to deliver care to our members and support field-based operations.
Our existing applications generally use: Python, Typescript, and Postgresql, all hosted on either GCP or Aptible (AWS). Experience with these types of tools are helpful, but not critical.
If you like building great user experiences, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
Requirements for the Role:
- You have at least 4 years of experience working on a professional engineering team
- You are invigorated by the complexities of building great health tech.
- You have a process-oriented mindset, and are comfortable writing and debating around design documents.
- You enjoy working across the stack and seeing features through end-to-end.
- You have a passion for doing mission-oriented work.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
- You collaborate well with engineers and new team members, and also work effectively outside of your team to build the features your company needs.
- You apply technical expertise to help others grow effectively, while also continuously growing to upgrade your skills and thinking as an engineer.
- You can write clean, well-tested code that will stand the test of time.
How We Define Success:
- Deliver impactful features to care teams through well-defined sub-tasks and regular instructions.
- Possess intellectual curiosity and a growth mindset. Effective in communicating status, proactive in asking for help, accepts feedback graciously, develops deep knowledge of components and architecture of feature areas, and learns from everything they do.
- Maintain strong relationships with your collaborators such as members of the product team, medical team and the platform and product engineering teams.
- Write correct and clean code with guidance, create tests for your work, and consistently follow stated best practices. Participate in technical design of features with guidance.
- Understand how your work fits into the larger project and identify problems with requirements. Take initiative to understand how the project you work on is used by the business. Communicate assumptions and get clarification on tasks up front to minimize the need for rework.
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience with the technologies in our stack.
- React, GraphQL, Typescript, Node.js, and Postgresql, all hosted on Aptible (AWS).
- Experience building health technology and/or manipulating health data.
- Previous exposure to clinical operations and/or working with physicians.
- A CS degree or equivalent.
What We'd Like From You:
- A resume.
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.