Senior Software Engineer, Quality at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
Our Quality Engineering team is focused on thinking like our users and helping the engineering team build features that work well for those users in all the ways they may interact with our systems. We operate as a central quality department to ensure best practices and processes across development teams with quality team members embedded with and working as part of the individual development teams. Working closely as part of the development team during all phases of the process ensures quality early on in the process and gives a sense of joint ownership of the features and quality of deliverables.
About the Role:
As we embark on our journey of continuously improving and building out our automation capability, RTR is looking for a Software Development Engineer in Test to lead and guide multiple test automation efforts in different areas. You will help ensure that our engineering teams will be able to continue to move quickly while also ensuring that our customers have a great experience.
What You’ll Do:
- Mentor and knowledge share best testing practices with our engineering teams.
- Translate business requirements into detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases
- Estimating, prioritizing, planning and coordinating quality testing activities - Own and improve the test plans and automation tests
- Design, develop and maintain a scalable testing infrastructure and execute automation scripts using open source tools, debugging and defining corrective actions for a complex microservices system
- Working with cross functional teams to understand and analyse issues across systems - both frontend (web and mobile) and backend (microservices, messaging and database) systems. Decomposing the system to test services and existing functionality in isolation and also perform larger end-to-end tests
- Together with the Development team review quality specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback and advise teams on and be responsible for writing automated tests
- Ensure that all User Stories have well-documented User Acceptance Criteria, and that those tests are executed within the iteration cycle.
- Ability to analyse and identify the most efficient level and type of testing needed across the development and release cycle at which automated tests will provide the most value and coverage.
- Review, analyse and debug test results to identify, record, document thoroughly and track bugs
- Ensure detailed reporting to provide assessment of product quality to project stakeholders - Ensuring that delivery adheres to Testing Standards: that all changes have sufficient test coverage, with documented test cases and that those test cases are executed and defects fixed.
- Assess risk of project changes on other tech teams and dependent services
- Track quality assurance metrics, like defect densities and open defect counts
- You have 5+ years experience in an eCommerce or web based environment having performed both frontend and backend testing
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related experience preferred
- You have working knowledge of SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) with experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process and a strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools and processes
- You have experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
- You consistently see the overall big picture situation rather than only focus on the details and specific tasks
- You have hands-on experience with both white box and black box testing
- You have hands-on experience with automated testing frameworks and tools, building quality backend and frontend test automation software (experience with Cypress.io, Selenium, and/or Jenkins is a plus)
- You have experience in service test automation with a strong understanding of REST design principles and the HTTP application protocol
- You have solid knowledge of SQL and scripting
- You have experience with CI/CD pipelines and tools such as Jenkins and Docker
- Knowledge and experience in testing of distributed message-driven applications is a plus
- You're a self-starter, highly organized with excellent planning, communication and interpersonal skills
- You work well within and across single and multiple team contexts, thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy collaborating with other automation engineers
- You have proven evidence of having led testing initiatives
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.