The Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Databases team is looking for experienced and passionate software engineers who have backgrounds in systems, programming, networking, relational and document datastores. We’re especially interested in skills building high availability systems or systems where consistency is paramount.
Your team will help build many of the stateful systems at Squarespace. This includes relational databases, document databases, durable queues, caches, and naming services. We work with transactional and batch/analytic workloads.
We’re entrusted with making important decisions about the most important assets at squarespace. Due to the gravity of this responsibility, our attention to detail must be exacting; our programming abstractions on spec, and our commitment to service resilience extraordinary.
You will report to the engineering manager.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees.
- Build automation around infrastructure components like MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Redis, and Kafka clusters.
- Instrument data storage systems so that engineers across the company can intuit how changes in behavior affect the databases.
- Be a SME for some of these technologies.
- Document best practices for working with data storage systems; be emboldened to present these to groups outside the team.
- Enhance and extend a platform that enables engineers to write products and supports them by choosing safe defaults for availability and consistency.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for our platform.
- Care and feeding for data storage libraries in our supported languages.
- Strong programming experience in Java, C++, Go, or Python.
- 3+ years experience managing large-scale software and distributed systems in *nix environments.
- Experience with web application development.
- The ability to reason about why a data model is a good fit for a problem.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- Extensive operational and architectural background in SQL and NoSQL technologies.
- Experience with database design, caching, scalability, and network fundamentals.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, or other CNCF software is a big plus.
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits and Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.