Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - New York Hub at Veeva
| Greater NYC Area | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 8:33 a.m. (EST) on Thursday, August 5, 2021
Veeva [NYSE: VEEV] is the leader in cloud-based software for the global life sciences industry. Committed to innovation, product excellence, and customer success, our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies to emerging biotechs. Veeva’s software helps our customers bring medicines and therapies to patients faster.
We are the first public company to become a Public Benefit Corporation. As a PBC, we are committed to making the industries we serve more productive, and we are committed to creating high-quality employment opportunities.
Veeva is a Work Anywhere company which means that you can choose to work in the environment that works best for you - on any given day. Whether you choose to work remotely from home or in our New York City office - it’s up to you.
Sr. Software Engineers on the Vault Site Reliability team at Veeva are innately curious and have a penchant for problem-solving. The scale in which you will be working supports hundreds of customers across 150 points of delivery. Experience in enterprise software development and Java stack will make you successful in this role. You bring a unique engineering perspective to development as the expert in how all of the related systems and applications come together in production. You know what will work at scale.
What You'll Do
- Rapidly build applications on an existing, robust enterprise platform.
- Build cloud infrastructure from scratch following the best practices in software development.
- Drive new features and improvements in a fast-changing environment.
- Build tools and automation that eliminate work and reduce the time it takes to resolve an issue.
- You want to make the system better every day and are self-driven to learn all that is necessary to provide full-stack diagnostics and determine the root cause of problems
- Ensure our platform meets the scalability and reliability needs of our customers.
- During an incident, lead the effort to triage and mitigate. You might need to perform periodic on-call duty if issues are escalated.
- Strategize with engineering teams on complex problems. You know how to support a system that is used by 2M users and can help dev teams make decisions based on recommendations of what will work in production before it ships.
- Participate in engineering design reviews of new features. Drive focused initiatives that improve operational efficiency and scalability of the platform.
- Communicate effectively with engineering teams, and describe problems succinctly with sufficient detail that you can hand off an ongoing problem to another team or a peer for completion. Engage in real-time communication during outages with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience working with and building Java/J2EE applications
- 5+ years of experience operating and scaling services in a distributed, internet-scale environment
- Proven track record of being an independent self-starter
- Strong knowledge of Linux operating systems and environment
- Strong knowledge of Networking, Load balancers, DNS, and TCP/IP
- Experience with RDBMS, such as MySQL, Oracle, or MS SQL Server
- Demonstrated history of incident management and leadership ability
- Experience in handling production outages and root cause analysis
- Hands-on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment
- Effective communication skills across all levels -- whether talking to individual contributors or executives
- Solid scripting skills; experience with Shell, Bash, Ansible, Python, Go, Ruby, etc.
- Ability to handle periodic, on-call duty
- Engineer Perspective: 3 Reasons to Consider Veeva
- Meet the Veeva Boston Team
Perks & Benefits
- Allocations for continuous learning & development
- Annual budget to donate to the non-profit of your choice
- Health & wellness programs
Veeva’s headquarters is located in the San Francisco Bay Area with offices in more than 15 countries around the world.
Veeva is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need when applying for a role or in our recruitment process, please contact us at [email protected]