Senior Software Engineer: Storage at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building features that developers love
DigitalOcean’s Storage Team is a remote team that builds and operates cloud-scale distributed storage powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly, easily, and safely as possible. We’re looking for engineers who can strengthen a team responsible for end to end design, implementation, and operations of DigitalOcean’s storage systems. We are looking for a senior engineer who will work on a small team to develop across the whole stack of our current and future systems. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Storage team. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA, according to candidate preference.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Programming in Go, Python, and other languages
- Supporting the operations and management of distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-motivated team of peers
- Consuming from and contributing to free/open source software communities
- Solving interesting problems at cloudscale in a technically rewarding environment
- Experience developing, testing, and shipping well-engineered code (Go a plus!)
- Experience testing, automating, operating, and troubleshooting production systems
- Experience with Linux operating systems and familiarity with networking fundamentals
- Experience with containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) and service-oriented architectures
- Experience consuming and/or interacting with a variety of data stores such as relational databases, key-value stores, timeseries, full-text search engine, and message queues (Specific experience with MySQL, TimescaleDB, Prometheus, Kafka, Elasticsearch, and Consul a plus!)
- Experience contributing meaningfully to discussions on architectures, implementations, design patterns, and processes with the ability to succinctly convey ideas to peers and mentees
- Familiarity with concurrency / parallelism models in a modern programming language
- Familiarity with HTTP and RPC servers, TLS, DNS, and Layer 4 and Layer 7 load balancing
- Bonus: Experience with gRPC, S3, and distributed storage systems such as Ceph
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!