Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $1.5 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Better is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the tech team. Our tech team is small but growing, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems. We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits.
As a Senior Software Engineer, Tools and Infrastructure you will build tooling to help us deliver our software to production with increased speed and quality. You will be part of our Core Tech team, working alongside Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) and folks focused on Developer Productivity. Core Tech products are used by engineers at Better everyday to be productive and in turn create amazing experiences for homeowners. These are tools that facilitate things like: testing, deployments, infrastructure tooling, and platform authentication. Projects that you could own:
- Build a system to fast forward a loan file to any point in the loan process which will help the operations and test teams do more effective training and testing
- Build more effective micro service testing using contracts or api tooling which can be shared across multiple engineering teams
- Improve our CI pipelines that run thousands of tests across hundreds of thousands of lines of code in a few minutes (with about 85% coverage)
- Determine a way to triage potentially flaky tests, such as, creating build monitors, failing test notifications, automatic detection of the change that could cause the test to become flaky, and automatic quarantine of tests
- Partner with the SRE team on monitoring, observability and alerting to improve Mean Time to Detect, Mean Time To Repair, Uptime, and other key metrics.
- We ship code 50-100 times every day
- Node.js, Python (3.6), and GoLang for services
- Ember.js, React, Typescript on the frontend
- ES6 across the stack
- Postgres for the database, Redshift for our Data warehouse
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops
- Terraform for infrastructure as code
- AWS for infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
- Ability to solve complex technical problems to increase engineer efficiency.
- Deep experience in automation that makes the engineering experience better. This could include scripting, command line tools, or libraries among other things.
- Excited about delivering robust working software to internal engineering teams. We are scaling rapidly and anticipate many challenges and opportunities due to that.
- Advocate and teach others about high quality software and the practices needed to achieve that.
- Experience with documenting and doing demos to help with adoption of tools.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.