The Video Encoding team is the applied research team that takes care of anything that happens to the uploaded videos, from storage to compression to streaming. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for orchestrating the various video services developed and integrating new technologies in the Vimeo systems, surfacing the team ideas and applications directly into the hands of our users - a unique opportunity to interact with the entirety of the video pipeline, from start to finish.
What you’ll do:
- You will be a key part of a team of developers working on the cutting edge, cloud based award winning video-creation platform.
- Develop and maintain QoE (Quality of Experience) metrics, making sure video playback stays top notch
- Work closely with R&D team members to develop and innovate video applications as well as be on the frontline to design, and implement technical changes in every aspect.
- Write articles, blog posts and presentations highlighting your technical achievements
- Collaborate with other teams in all aspects of the software development lifecycle.
- Architect efficient and reusable front-end systems, and design the libraries and frameworks.
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- Systems programming, with a focus on microservices and interoperability
- Frontend and backend programming experience with several languages
- Working knowledge of multimedia transcoding pipelines.
- Familiarity with database and networking concepts, as well as container technology.
- Experience with CDN vendors and streaming protocols, such as MSE or WebRTC.
- Passion for the technology and engineering principles.
- Experience with container orchestration technologies like Kubernetes.
- Video encoding/transcoding experience (ie. ffmpeg, x264).
- Effective contributions to open source multimedia projects.
What should you bring to the team?
- Perspective and deep understanding of the trends in the frontend world
- Development of significant features or projects, transforming an idea into reality
- Experience in working with frontend and backend technologies
- Team player, Get-it-done attitude and quick learner
- Excellent communication, collaboration and influencing skills
Vimeo is the world’s leading all-in-one video software solution. Our platform enables any professional, team, and organization to unlock the power of video to create, collaborate and communicate. We proudly serve our growing community of over 200 million users — from creatives to entrepreneurs to the world’s largest companies. Vimeo is headquartered in New York City with offices around the world. At Vimeo, we believe our impact is greatest when our workforce of over 650 passionate, dedicated people, represents our diverse and global community. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer where diversity, equity and inclusion is championed in how we build our products, develop our leaders, and strengthen our culture.
Learn more at www.vimeo.com
Learn more at www.vimeo.com/jobs