At Great Jones, we're out to build the leading full-service operating platform for lower-scale residential rental real estate: tens of millions of single-family homes and apartment buildings without on-site management, collectively worth trillions of dollars but underpenetrated by technology to date.
By combining technology and design with best-in-class operations & growth leadership, we will unlock the asset class from previous constraints posted by operational headaches.
Technology penetration is low here vs. other asset classes, which just means we have lots of greenfield technology to build!
As a Senior Software Engineer you can expect to:
- Build a Mint/Robinhood style app so owners can see and manage their rental properties in real-time from wherever they are with the power of real-time data, smart home automation, and predictive analytics at their fingertips
- Build an Uber-style interface so residents can request maintenance, rate their service experiences, pay their rent, or perform any other interaction or communication
- Build and optimizing systemized workflows for everything from leasing to leaky faucets to property optimization
- Discover new and creative ways to comb through massive public data troves to source and close new potential customers
Thinking “technology first” is the key to pushing the frontier for customer experience, scalability (3-5x+ efficiency vs. competitors), and value creation in this multi-trillion dollar space. Let’s eliminate the pain of rental ownership and renting.
In this position you will roll up your sleeves, work closely with our product & engineering teams, and help build the foundation of various software components. Because we are so greenfield and nothing quite like this has ever been built before, your team will be working with the latest and greatest technologies including AWS-managed services, serverless components, GraphQL, and NLP!
Your team’s work -- delivering software that delights our customers and their tenants, automates and instruments a traditionally low-tech industry, and enables controlled and elegant scaling of the business -- will be an absolutely crucial part of that journey.
- Work with a Lead Software Engineer and peer engineers to develop new and existing full stack software systems to the highest technical, quality, and accountability standards
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of designers, product managers, and analysts to develop high-quality technical solutions to customer and business problems
- Engage in code reviews and help to define and maintain high standards of code quality
- Collaborate with other Technology team members and leaders to refine best practices and processes
- Stay current on leading edge technology to help the organization stay at the forefront of industry innovation
- Equipped with 4+ years of professional programming experience, time at a rapidly growing technology organization is a plus
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Go, Node.js, Ruby, or something similar)
- Backed by a strong understanding of software engineering principles and fundamentals, like data structures and algorithms
- Enjoy building new products from scratch, not just improving existing ones. You’ve thrived in similar situations in the past.
- Successful in an agile work environment, breaking down large pieces of work to deliver value incrementally
- Product sensibility; you have worked closely with product management and design and consider yourself a user-centric thinker
- Knowledgeable about modern relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MySQL
- Experience with AWS is a plus
- An entrepreneurial, product focused producer who loves to build innovative solutions in clever ways
- You are energized by bringing technology to an older-school industry starved for it. You aggressively push the boundaries of how to leverage cutting-edge technology to create a deeply differentiated experience
- You have delivered elegant, user-centric experiences amid high complexity perhaps for multiple user types
- A quick learner with a can-do attitude
- A friendly and open-minded communicator
- Eager to be involved in all stages of the product development lifecycle, from concept through deployment
- Self-starter mentality, yet a team player with a collaborative approach
- Attention to detail, strong written and verbal communication, and exceptional professional maturity
About Great Jones:
Great Jones brings ease and performance to rental ownership and living, starting by reinventing property management for the several trillion (!) dollars in rental homes owned by small-scale investors.
We’re replacing an experience that has historically been heavily operational, low-tech, and stressful with one delivered through modern software, thoughtful experience design, real benefits of scale, and the right blend of local & centralized operations.
By providing a seamless, full-service experience for owners and residents, we aim to make ownership worry-free and more profitable for the 25 million Americans who own rental homes. In doing so, we become the operating system around our owners’ most valuable investments, as well as our residents’ homes.
And we’re doing this within an enormous addressable market, with highly attractive unit economics, where competition is deeply fragmented and notorious for subpar service.
We are growing rapidly with nationwide expansion on deck -- headquartered in Manhattan with on-the-ground operations in 20 markets across 9 states.
Our leadership team has built digital platforms and operational machines that have powered hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of transactions for marketplace businesses like 1stdibs, Skillshare, and Warby Parker.
We’ve raised over $30 million (including our recently closed Series B) from top investors including Crosslink Capital, Navitas Capital, Zigg Capital, Juxtapose, and top NYC angels & real estate entrepreneurs including Kevin Ryan, David Rosenblatt, and Jason Finger, who have founded or led companies such as Seamless, Gilt Groupe, MongoDB, DoubleClick, 1stdibs, Floored, and others.