Orchard is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes, simplifying it to be fair and true to market, straightforward & easy. The U.S. has $1.5 trillion worth of home transactions each year, generating over $120 billion of fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Orchard offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions -- the sale and purchase of a home –stress free, fair and simple.
We are headquartered in New York City, have 200+ employees and have grown 10x year over year. In addition to this incredible growth, we’re proud to have been recognized by Inc. Magazine as a Best Workplace of 2020 while hold a 4.9 Glassdoor rating!
Team and Responsibilities
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high-growth team at the ground floor, and play an instrumental role in making the home buying and selling experience frictionless for our customers.
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams with high feature ownership. Engineers take ownership of feature development end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary), to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low, and support lean & nimble product engineering teams.
We’re looking for senior engineers that are passionate about building delightful customer experiences for both web and mobile, design scalable architecture for our API platform & internal tools, and orchestrate data processing across different data sources.
In this role you will:
- Build and continuously deploy both internal tools and consumer facing products.
- Maintain a continuously tested, scalable, and applications and services across all sites. A well written, clean, testable code base which allows for moving quickly while delivering quality.
- Play an active role in hiring and mentoring other engineers.
- Work with business stakeholders to design and architect solutions to our business problems.
- Working knowledge of building web applications using single page technologies and service oriented architecture.
- Familiarity with AWS, Postgres, SQL, Airflow, Docker, CircleCI, Karma, Hugo a plus.
- Experience working with a team to plan, prioritize, build, and deploy code regularly using CI/CD tools.
- 4+ years experience in software engineering
- BS or MS in Computer Science (or related experience)
- Results orientation with a high motor and an incredible attention to detail; able to drive projects from planning to completion with limited oversight
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills to work across diverse stakeholders and cross-functional teams
- A low ego and can-do attitude; willingness to admit mistakes and work to remedy them
- Flexibility to prioritize deliverables and re-prioritize them at a moment’s notice
- Comfort operating in an ambiguous environment where there's not a set playbook on how to solve each problem