Who We Are
Neverware is the developer of CloudReady, the highly secure, fast, and modern operating system that runs on almost any hardware. Launched in February 2015, CloudReady garnered immediate attention by giving budget-strapped schools a way to turn old, slow computers into fast, reliable devices that deliver the same experience as a Chromebook. Several years and one million installs later, CloudReady is the OS of choice for innovative organizations and IT teams eager to embrace the future of computing and eliminate the hassle and expense of legacy operating systems. Thousands of schools, businesses, and consumers in 127 countries around the world use CloudReady daily via our Education, Enterprise, and Home Editions.
With offices in New York and London, Neverware has been featured on Crain's 100 Best Places to Work in New York City in 2019 and 2018, was named #8 on Built in NYC's Best Small Places to Work in NYC, and was the winner of the 2018 TIMMY Award for Best Startup in New York. Neverware’s investors include Google LLC, Khosla Ventures, General Catalyst, and Rethink Education. Our partners include Google, Microsoft, Amazon Web Services, Samsung, and more.
Who You Are: You’re an engineer who has several years under your belt, and wants to help a team make a unique product built on open source technology. You're passionate about and supportive of your coworkers. You want to help lead part of a small and dedicated team that makes great products users actually want. Above all you’re an enthusiastic engineer with strong interpersonal skills who loves solving problems and facilitating the professional growth of your teammates.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Neverware, you’ll be working on our engineering team to continue to develop our CloudReady operating system through any combination of:
- Help us manage the unique complexity of staying up to date with a large number of external dependencies (both source code and binary) through the development of custom tools and processes
- Help keep current CloudReady hardware compatibility up-to-date as well as expand it to new devices
- Help shape CloudReady’s future through the definition, implementation and delivery of new features and tools that will deliver maximum value to the company and our customers
- Once you become comfortable in the role you may have the opportunity to grow into a leadership position on the team, helping other engineers be happy and maximally productive.
- You can expect to work with a wide variety of languages and technologies (C/C++ and Python are two that you’ll come across frequently) and you’ll be working with a large amount of open source code
You can expect to:
- Have general autonomy when architecting and implementing new features
- Help grow the skills of the team through mentorship and coaching
- Help organize and prioritize the work that the team does on a day-to-day basis
- Write code that gets shipped out to customers and updated at a cadence of every few weeks, sometimes faster
- Have a voice and a vote during technical discussions
- Have a flexible schedule to get your work done
- Demonstrated technical leadership on past software projects
- Experience developing and troubleshooting software on and for Linux operating systems
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with the Chromium Browser and / or Chromium OS source code
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Linux kernel driver development and debugging
Neverware is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.