Senior Software/Systems Engineer - Site Reliability (Observability) at Squarespace
The Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams are looking for experienced and passionate software engineers and systems engineers who possess backgrounds in systems, programming and networking to help in ensuring that customers around the world can access Squarespace sites, that they load quickly, and that all of the features work. We work together with the product teams to maintain the reliability of our features that are backed by a fleet of microservices, with the infrastructure teams to grow our current data centers and build new ones, with the data teams to tackle challenging “big data” issues, and the security teams to keep a close eye on the latest vulnerabilities and protect our product, infrastructure and networks.
The Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams are also responsible for designing the systems that allow us to operate on our data centers and evolve the massive Squarespace software engine that serves millions of users worldwide. We implement software for internal DNS management, IP address allocation, and Linux image and package repositories. We build tools for the provisioning of compute capacity on top of VMware, Kubernetes clusters or public clouds. We work together with Server Engineering teams to scale up our storage, database and search infrastructure, which ingests close to 2 TBs of data per day. Our internal products include source code management tools, clusters of build agents for frontend and server-side code, automated testing infrastructure, Docker image generation tools, and continuous deployment pipelines, all used by 150+ software engineers in the wider organization. We engineer ELK clusters that ingest 5 TB of logs daily, Graphite time-series databases that process 14 million data points every minute, distributed tracing services that record 500 spans every second, and a Sensu alerting framework that monitors thousands of servers and hundreds of software services. You will report to the team lead in NYC.
- Own internal services like Kubernetes and ELK clusters, infrastructure components like MongoDB databases and Couchbase clusters, product-related services like our certificate management pipeline, and everything in between.
- Write high-quality infrastructure-as-code that automates the provisioning, deployment, scaling, and monitoring of Squarespace’s infrastructure and ensure it's redundant and fast around the globe.
- Share our globally distributed on-call rotation and be an escalation point to assess complex problems in real-time across any of our high-traffic software systems.
- Collaborate with a team of experienced engineers to test your ideas and understand the system, and mentor junior team members.
- Programming experience in Java, C++, Python, Go, or Ruby. Deep experience managing large-scale software and distributed systems in *nix environments.
- An understanding of and experience with, web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- Understand database design, caching, scalability, and network fundamentals.
- 5+ years of experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, or other CNCF software is a big plus.
- BS, or MS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent industry experience.
Squarespace empowers people with creative ideas to succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 800 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Equity plan
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Free lunch and snacks
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Education reimbursement
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.