At Harry’s, Inc., we are building a cutting edge technology stack to support our multi-brand vision. In 2013, we launched Harry’s - a successful men’s grooming and men’s care brand. In 2018, we launched Flamingo - we thought it was time we got some honestly good products for over a million women that were already using our products. We focus on quality craftsmanship, simple design and modern convenience and now we have millions of customers worldwide.
We are now developing brands beyond Harry’s and Flamingo. The technology required to enable our goals includes distributed services, event driven serverless architectures, and multi-region kubernetes deployments. If you are a driven, talented engineer, come join a small, autonomous team with ambitious goals.
About the Role
As a Distributed Systems Senior Staff Engineer you will be responsible for designing and implementing services to support a variety of business needs. You will improve the design of our existing architecture and understand the impact that this can have across the company. You care about writing reliable, secure, testable, efficient code. You invest your time in writing good documentation, relish giving and receiving feedback on code, and are up-to-date the latest developments in the space. You are a team player who strives to make the whole organization better. You will report to the Sr. Manager of Distributed Systems.
What you will accomplish:
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of new solutions that are performant, reliable, secure, testable, maintainable, and well documented
- Use data to propose Service Level Objectives for performance, availability, scalability and efficiency in support of additional brands, systems and geographies
- Oversee projects with multiple cross-functional stakeholders; navigate Harry's effectively and efficiently
- Drive engineering best practices - writing RFCs, creating runbooks, driving process improvements (e.g. to CI/CD, deployments, code reviews, incident resolution, etc…)
This should describe you:
- You have a Bachelor’s in computer science, software engineering, or similar (or equivalent non-traditional training) and 7+ years of relevant work experience.
- You embrace leadership opportunities, can influence without authority, provide mentorship to less experienced staff, and raise the bar for the entire team.
- You have experience in developing services, troubleshooting & debugging distributed systems. You know how to make large software projects maintainable and extensible.
- You have a DevOps mindset, taking responsibility for the entire system and its operations. You have experience with tools like Terraform, Circle CI, and Kubernetes.
- You are already fluent in one or more components of our technology stack: Scala (Play, Akka), TypeScript, Python, Postgres, AWS (Cloudformation, Kinesis, Lambda).
- You are curious about software and how things work, you work to understand technical problems deeply, and you stay current.
- You have worked in an Agile/Scrum environment and are comfortable establishing goals, writing stories, using story points, forecasting what can be achieved within an iteration, and reflecting on how to improve
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.