Site Reliability Engineer
Wink is the simpler way to a smarter home. Our industry-leading platform brings hundreds of products from the best brands together into the easy-to-use Wink mobile app. With Wink, you can seamlessly monitor, control, and automate your home in ways never possible before. Our goal is an ambitious one - to make the promise of the smart home a reality for everyone. We’re a talented, small, and scrappy team that’s disrupting the industry at warp speed while going head-to-head (and winning) against some of the biggest companies worldwide.
As a key member of the server team, you will be responsible for ensuring site reliability across Wink production services, owning our infrastructure, tooling, and deployment pipelines, and communicating to both internal and external customers regarding metrics & incidents.
- Site reliability. You have experience monitoring multitudes of distributed systems. You are proactive and identify problems before they happen. You make runbooks, write scripts, and build applications that ensure the uptime and reliability of production services.
- Capacity planning. You have professional experience in profiling applications and resource usage. You've written and automated load testing on a regular schedule.
- Incident management. You have experience with incident escalation and writing incident / post-mortem reports. You have a mind of steel – large-scale production issues don't faze you. You are an expert in many popular systems and tools, understand low level systems, and are able to rapidly understand a service’s architecture.
- Metrics and Monitoring. "Everything that moves must be measured and graphed." You have extensive experience collecting metrics, setting up dashboards, and automating alerts.
- Sysadmin. You can bend systems to your will and also can do routine jobs like backups, logging, etc. Doing things manually sounds crazy to you so you set up continuous delivery and command the entire fleet instead of individual machines.
- Infrastructure. You think in terms of portability, repeatability, and automation. You think beyond "just making stuff work”. You work closely with the developers to define large-scale deployments of complex services. You know best practices and can advise the developers on how to scale.
- On-call. You’ve been on-call and know first hand that understanding and respecting services in a production environment leads to increased stability.
- 2+ years experience in Site Reliability/Devops for large-scale deployments
- BS in Computer Science, or equivalent experience. You know how computers work (topics such as Operating Systems, Networking, Security, and Algorithms) and how reliable services are built.
- Experience deploying and maintaining multi-container applications through Docker
- Expert knowledge of AWS, MySQL, Redis, Load Balancing ).
- Bonus points if you have already deployed clusters using an orchestration layer like Docker Swarm or Kubernetes or have worked with Data pipelines using Spark, Hadoop, Cassandra, etc.
- Monitoring guru. You think graphs are sexy. You like building dashboards (Graphite, Kibana, Grafana, etc..)
- Load testing: You know your JMeter, ab, and similar tools
- Your dev game is strong: You can build tools, a simple site, or write bots.
- An eagerness to understand a service’s behavior in production like you were the developer who wrote it.
- You always seek the best solution to problems but know when to compromise
- Excellent communication skills. You will have to communicate with both internal and external customers as well as manage vendor relationships.
Check us out at wink.com. Try out our app and products. Spend some time understanding what we do. If you think we are a good fit for each other, submit your resume along with a cover letter, letting us know why you want this job and why you are the perfect fit for us.
Wink is based in New York City and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Competitive Compensation
- Health, Dental, Life and Vision Insurance
- Stock Options
- Generous Vacation Policy
- Progressive Work Environment
- Wink Products
- An awesome dedicated group of people who are passionate about Wink, its products, and always pushing technology forward.