Site Reliability Engineer - Podcaster Mission at Podcaster Mission at Spotify
| Greater NYC Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 9:57 a.m. (EST) on Thursday, October 22, 2020
About the Podcaster mission
Spotify is a global community of over 250 million music fans and artists, and now podcasters. It’s always been our mission to make audio more accessible, and create a new and wonderful way for creators and fans to connect with each other.
The Podcaster Mission is the team within Spotify responsible for building the best tools for podcast creators. We have two platforms that help us do that: Anchor (the platform that allows you to create, distribute, monetize, and grow a podcast, all for free) and Spotify for Podcasters (the platform that makes it easy to understand and engage with your listeners on Spotify).
We’ve done a lot already, and we have no plans of slowing down. Come help us build the future of podcasting!
What you'll do
- Build, automate, maintain, scale, and monitor user-facing systems using best practices, with reliability and scalability in mind
- Work with the other backend engineers to debug and fix issues
- Implement high-quality release engineering practices to facilitate rapid development, safe changes, and engineer productivity
- Maintain system architecture documentation and runbooks
- Work with teams across the Podcaster org to learn about existing issues with the product, identify the sources of the problems, and help fix them
- See projects through from conception to launch
- While this position focuses on systems, infrastructure, and monitoring, we welcome anyone who is interested in digging into and improving application code -- we use NodeJS
You have in-depth knowledge of
- AWS (we use ECS and Lambda heavily)
- Docker, for production and local development
- Automation tools like Terraform, Puppet, or Ansible
- MySQL administration (we use RDS), including configuration and tuning, analyzing and troubleshooting performance, hunting down slow queries, managing replication, etc
- SQL, including writing and analyzing complex joins, reading explain plans, optimizing indexes, etc
- Linux internals
- Systems fundamentals like networking, DNS, certificate management, and security best practices
- Scripting with bash and some other language
- You’ve probably spent hours of your life reading the man pages for tcpdump, rsync, sed, jq, mysqldump, and awscli
Who you are
- You have a sense of humor
- You think on your feet, are able to react calmly and strategically to unexpected downtime, and are excited to solve challenging problems quickly
- You get excited about challenging computer science problems, have a love for clean code, and insist on automating repetitive tasks
- You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and eagerly use them to document your work
- You have a persistent/determined work ethic and a willingness to try anything and everything
- You are interested in podcasts, radio, or audio in general
- You have the ability to work well with cross-functional teams
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It's in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 299 million users.
Read Full Job Description