Site Reliability Engineer
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We strive to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: creating the best products. Come and join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
CockroachDB provides the backbone of how a business’s data is stored on a global scale. The Site Reliability Engineer is responsible for managing the infrastructure for our cloud service offering. This is a high-impact role where you will be accountable for our production system and ensuring that our services span several cloud providers as part of our hosted offering. You will also spend roughly half of your time doing greenfield development work, with an emphasis on tool development and driving automation.
- You will manage the infrastructure for cloud services, including running internal production systems and hosting CockroachDB for our external customers.
- You will design, write, and deliver software and systems to increase product reliability and organizational efficiency.
- You will develop custom tools as necessary
- You will keep a complex system running and solve problems relating to mission-critical services.
- You will design, implement, operate, and troubleshoot the automation and monitoring of production clusters to maximize performance and availability.
- You will drive the company through disaster recovery tests, where we manually turn down pieces of CockroachDB to test it's overall resilience to failures.
- You will participate in a weekly on-call rotation for our production systems and hosted services.
In your first 30 days, you will take over the operation of our existing internal and customer-facing production systems. Working with product and engineering, you will assess our production operations and flesh out runbooks for the operation of different systems. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team. You will take full ownership for reliability, automation, and other issues related to CockroachDB's stability. You will identify new opportunities for automating processes, streamlining delivery, deploying new core functionality, and building great tools. You will help make CockroachDB more friendly by bringing your expertise to our database.
- Expertise in analyzing, monitoring, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience in software development using one or more of the following Go, C, C++, Python, Java
- Proficiency working with algorithms, data structures and production troubleshooting
- Expertise in interacting with major cloud providers like AWS, Azure, GCP, etc. and Cloud APIs.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and to automate routine tasks
- Working knowledge of web and network protocols and standards (HTTP, TLS, DNS, etc.)
- Previous on-call experience, with a sense of urgency.
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected].