Site Reliability Engineer
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that combines engaging, leveled content with integrated formative assessments and insights to supercharge engagement and learning in every subject. Students and teachers use Newsela to find digital content from hundreds of the best sources—from National Geographic to NASA, Biography.com to Encyclopedia Britannica, the Washington Post to the Wichita Eagle. Content is instructionalized to meet students where they are, with interactive tools and analytics to take them where they want to go. Newsela has become an essential solution for schools and districts, with a presence in over 90% of U.S. K-12 schools. Newsela is the content platform for the connected classroom.
Developers at Newsela work on big problems in literacy education, from building the infrastructure necessary to handle tens of millions of users to solving novel problems in text complexity and personalization. As a Lead Site Reliability Engineer, you will be responsible for the continued design, development, and maintenance of said infrastructure. You’ll create plans, collaborate with other DevOps team members, and coordinate with product, community, and marketing teams. These high-visibility initiatives will help to increase service levels, lower costs, and deliver features more quickly.
We believe that code is communication and we care deeply about the relationships developers have with each other and the company as a whole. Site reliability engineers work to ensure that the amazing products we create can be delivered to readers and teachers around the world; if you love working on applications that help make a real difference, this role is for you.
- Lead a small, successful team of engineers to build out performant and reliable infrastructure for Newsela's web and data applications.
- Organize and participate in an on-call rotation to ensure maximum site performance and uptime.
- Maintain a technical roadmap and a stable backlog of meaningful work.
- Handle often competing priorities through good time management and communication.
- Ensure documentation around infrastructure creation, provisioning, and general best practices is up-to-date.
The Ideal Candidate
- Over 6 years of professional development experience, preferably spent in an operations, DevOps, or SRE role.
- Experience architecting and maintaining high throughput web infrastructure for a large user base.
- At least 1 year of leadership experience (any of people management, process management, or technical direction).
- Advanced demonstrated fluency in Python or a similar scripting language.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience working in education.
- Previous experience in web application development.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.