Site Reliability Engineer
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll work closely with other SREs and developers to ensure Vimeo remains available, fast, and secure. We own the core infrastructure on which most Vimeo apps sit, including system configuration, basic network services, container orchestration, metrics collection, and load balancing. We're building tools that are used by all of engineering to manage production, with the goal of providing a consistent and powerful platform. You'll be instrumental in making Vimeo the best toolset for video creators.
What you'll do:
- With the rest of the SRE team, own the base production infrastructure: VM provisioning, configuration management, load balancing, access control, container orchestration, and the tools we use to interact with all that stuff.
- Build tools to make our infrastructure more consistent, more reliable, more observable, and require less manual intervention.
- Consult with other engineering teams at Vimeo to improve their reliability and operational processes.
- Manage changes to our production environment.
- Take part in a 12x7 on-call rotation (split with our team in Bangalore), to triage and troubleshoot production issues.
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- 4+ years of experience with Linux systems engineering.
- Experience programming with at least one language Vimeo uses -- Python, Go, Ruby, or PHP -- and a desire to learn more. (The SRE team uses primarily Python and Go, with occasional shell scripts).
- Knowledge of fundamental networking protocols, such as TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL, and DNS, or of Linux system internals.
- An understanding of configuration management (we use Chef), or containerization toolsets (we use Docker).
- An understanding of large scale system design, monitoring, and operational practices.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical system administration and programming experience.
- Experience with container orchestration technologies like Kubernetes, Mesos, or Nomad. (We use Kubernetes.)
- Experience with virtualization platforms, either on-prem or cloud-based.
- A track record of automating away your job.
- An appreciation of and enthusiasm for software engineering best practices, such as code review, testing, and continuous delivery.
At Vimeo, our mission is to empower video creators to tell exceptional stories and connect with their audiences and communities. Home to more than 90 million members in over 150 countries, Vimeo is the world’s largest ad-free open video platform, providing powerful tools to host, share and sell videos in the highest quality possible.
We work hard to enable creators of all kinds to succeed, and to that end, we prioritize attracting diverse talent and cultivating an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and creativity. We’re committed to building a company and a community where people thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work every day.
Vimeo is based in New York City, with additional offices in Europe and India. Vimeo is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC). Learn more at www.vimeo.com.