Site Reliability Engineer at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs, bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs and some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are—bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. We will get started in new markets, each with their own operating structure and care teams, and continue to grow in the communities where we are working already. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To deliver a radically better experience of care to our members and advance equity in the communities we serve, we strive to make our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bridging together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels like they belong, are valued, respected, and celebrated as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our newly-formed SRE function, whose mission is to ensure the reliability of our systems, to empower all our teams to be productive in a cross-functional manner, and to reduce operational costs as we scale.
As the second SRE at the company, you will act as a thought leader in all DevOps/SRE related practices at Cityblock and have a large amount of influence on the way projects are implemented. You will join other engineers, product managers, data scientists, analysts, and machine learning experts in designing and developing infrastructure, services, and processes to address our exact needs.
Our tech stack is built on top of Google Cloud Platform, using modern infrastructure like Kubernetes, Airflow, BigQuery, Cloud Pub/Sub, and Apache Beam. We configure our infrastructure using Terraform, and our primary programming languages are TypeScript, Scala and Python.
If you like designing and building useful infrastructure or are excited about the challenges of working with complex data, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
- Build monitoring and alerting systems to ensure observability.
- Establish and maintain SLIs, SLOs, and SLAs.
- Implement and maintain automation of deployments and code management.
- Design, build, implement, and own systems, internal tools, and abstractions for maintaining reliable infrastructure to process and manage healthcare data.
- Establish processes and implement technical solutions for effective disaster recovery.
- Write, and review, code up and down the stack as needed.
- Ensure we are using industry best practices for producing reliable software that works beautifully.
- Write clean, well-tested, code that will stand the test of time.
- Participate in creating and maintaining strict compliance, data privacy and security measures.
- Help recruit highly capable engineers to the team from diverse backgrounds.
- Learn continuously via mentorship (and on your own!) to upgrade your skills and thinking as an engineer.
- Mentor junior engineers, new team members, and apply technical expertise to help others grow effectively.
- Collaborate with our clinical, data, product, IT, and other teams to gather requirements and problem solve.
- Come up to speed on how healthcare works (or doesn’t) to support those who need it most.
You’d be a good fit if:
- You have been an early member of a DevOps or SRE team.
- You are invigorated, rather than daunted, by the challenge of building great health tech.
- You have a process-oriented mindset with a bias towards automation, and are comfortable writing and debating around design documents.
- You enjoy solving complex problems and balancing speed of execution with designing scalable solutions.
- You have 3+ years experience writing production code and being involved in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- You have a passion for doing mission-oriented work.
- You have worked in fast-moving startup environments before.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
Nice to have:
- Experience with the technologies in our stack.
- Intimate understanding of Google Cloud Platform services.
- Experience with container and orchestration technologies.
- An interest in lower-level infrastructure concerns like latency and monitoring.
- Previous exposure to clinical operations and/or working with physicians.
- A CS degree or equivalent (top tier bootcamp grads welcome!)
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.