Site Reliability Engineer at SevenFifty
SevenFifty is looking for an experienced SRE to join our fully-remote, 15 person engineering team. As our first dedicated infrastructure hire, you’ll own the underlying infrastructure that powers our platform, and take the lead on modernizing our stack and defining the SRE discipline on our team.
What we use:
- Amazon EC2 instances running Debian and Ubuntu power our main server infrastructure
- Amazon RDS running PostgreSQL for data storage
- Ruby on Rails and C#/.NET application backends (multiple user-facing and internal data processing applications)
- React Native mobile app
- Apache Solr and ElasticSearch for search/indexing
- Ansible for provisioning
- CircleCI for continuous integration/deployment
- GitHub, Slack, and JIRA as our primary workflow tools
What you’ll do:
- Be the primary maintainer of all of our AWS services, including a small fleet of production EC2 servers and RDS databases
- Build good practices and tools to ensure all of our systems are stable and observable
- Work directly with software engineers across our engineering team to architect new systems with a reliability-first mindset
- Mentor team members eager to learn devops practices from an experienced SRE
- 5+ years of experience with system administration or developing for production software systems, and 2+ years in an SRE or DevOps-focused role
- Strong *nix system administration skills, and a penchant for automation
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with monitoring and observability tools
Useful (but not necessary):
- Experience hosting modern full-stack web application frameworks, intra- and inter-app messaging, and background workers
- Experience maintaining a web-scale search engine
- Development/staging environments and tooling, continuous integration/deployment
- Experience working as a full-time remote employee
What you do not need:
- 24/7 on-call availability
- A college degree
- A high GPA or SAT score
- An address in or around New York City
- A car, phone, or any equipment – we’ll provide a computer and Zoom account
- To drink – many of our colleagues don’t
...80-ish people and growing fast.
...doing our best to make a difference. Read more here.
...former hospitality professionals and start-up veterans.
...distributed; we work remotely and gather together a few times each year.
...social! We meet virtually for team game nights, wine tastings, and lunch n’ learn sessions.
...eaters and drinkers who love to discuss food and beverage.
...changing an industry. Read more here.
Find out what it's like to work at Sevenfifty here.
Perks & benefits:
- 100% paid individual medical, dental, and vision via Justworks and Aetna.
- Meaningful equity in an industry-changing organization.
- Unlimited vacation to rest and recover.
- Learning opportunities (like a professional certification from WSET).
- Flexibility to work where you want, so long as you’re meeting your goals.
- Light the way: Inspire others with your vision for success.
- Open the door: Ask, listen, and empower others.
- Stir it up: Embrace experimentation and bring new ideas to life.
- Keep the glass full: Do more than is expected, for yourself and for others.
- Respect the craft: Commit to excellence and integrity in your work.
We are an equal opportunity employer. What does that mean at SevenFifty? We:
- Give each team member an equal opportunity to develop and grow into a leadership role.
- Acknowledge our shortcomings and try to do improve our company and our industry.
- Elevate BIPOC voices in our industry publication, SevenFifty Daily.
- Do not discriminate against candidates or employees on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or socioeconomic status.
- Have regular, sometimes awkward, conversations about diversity, equity, and inclusion in our employee resource group, SevenFifty Community.
- Are honest and recognize that our company isn’t as diverse as it should be. We’re trying to change that.