Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.We’re looking for a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
We are a dynamic team of engineers building products for a fast-growing company that is dedicated to building meaningful tech communities. As an experienced member of our Technology team, we foremost look for talented people who are passionate towards solving business problems through innovation and best engineering practices. You'll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common technology and company goals. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You’ll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking, outcome-driven environment with new technologies and architectures in a forward-thinking organization that looks to push boundaries - one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers nationally (and building towards globally).
The vision of the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team is to enable every product and technology team to start, iterate on, and own the projects they create end-to-end. To achieve this vision, the SRE team focuses on the following streams of work:
- Empowerment: Build and maintain a technology infrastructure that minimizes operational friction and allows every team to start, iterate on, and own projects, end-to-end.
- Efficient Operations: Monitor and optimize the costs (monetary, temporal, etc) of all the systems supporting the product teams.
- Consistency and Security: Establish standards and follow conventions to reliably scale and secure the organization.
- Be responsible for ongoing reliability and robustness of Built In infrastructure in production, staging and development.
- Implement, configure, and operate tools and products in the DevOps and DevSecOps Toolchain.
- Maintain services by monitoring availability, capacity, and throughput leading the team through continuous improvement of production operations.
- Learn and study all failures to add to roadmap of future reliability & support new services before they go live through system design consulting and launch reviews
- Work within our multi-technology stack including Go, Vue, TypeScript, Python and Docker to build services and applications; Drupal-based platform with content, and Salesforce.
- Adapt to new technologies and processes, and work in a test-driven development environment. Your inputs will always be valued in implementing improvements to our development processes.
- Collaborate with Engineers, QA, and Product teams providing technical expertise and leveraging SRE best practices. We are organized around B2B, B2C, Data & Business Intelligence, Platform and Growth Pods with shared services of SRE and QA.
- Embrace and commit to culturalizing vision and plans for DevOps principles through practice and knowledge sharing and building self-service infrastructure and tools by writing code, aka Infrastructure as Code.
- BS or MS in computer science or information technology, or equivalent experience required.
- At least 3 - 5 years of experience working in a Site or Service Reliability Engineering (SRE), DevOps or Operations roles.
- Familiarity with API design, DevOps concepts, AWS and cloud technologies, Docker.
- Experience with container based deployments and orchestration tools (e.g. Kubernetes), as well as Cloud Platforms and related tooling: AWS, GCP, Terraform, configuration management.
- Experience with Test Driven Development and Unit Test Frameworks a plus.
- Strong customer service skills with excellent written and oral communication abilities.
- You want to be a part of a team that succeeds as a unit, and you want mentorship from other engineers as much as you want to mentor those engineers yourself.
- Position is on rotation for 24x7 support for some systems. As such, the SRE is required to occasionally work off-hours for maintenance or to resolve technical issues.
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Be Inclusive, Always
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every point on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and this role is aligned with your career trajectory.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Built In is guided by principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to this work over the long-term, but here’s some of what’s in place today:
- We have five thriving ERG groups: Built In For The People, BuiltOut, United We Parent, Womxn United in Tech and Built In Tribe.
- We have a dedicated Director, HR + Inclusion who oversees our DEI roadmap, which provides our annual metrics, goals and initiatives.
- We are proud to be led by a female CEO and founder.