Site Reliability Engineering Manager
Join the Site Reliability Engineering team at one of the fastest growing tech startups in NYC!
At Namely, we are self-starters and problem solvers, obsessed with creating the best experience for our clients. We are a team of smart and self-motivated engineers who are eager to learn, grow and collaborate with other great engineers. Each person is an owner of their work and directly impacts the success of our products and company.
Namely’s mission is to help mid-sized companies build a better workplace. We are transforming HR, payroll and benefits into a platform and experience HR professionals and employees love to use. People are at the center of everything we do, and we believe every company and employee deserves a great workplace, supported by innovative HR technology.
SRE’s job is to keep the platform that our 1,100 customers use running smoothly and efficiently. We build powerful automation that impacts everything from development and testing through to production deployment, scaling, monitoring, and alerting. Put another way, we eliminate work through automation. We have fun leveraging cutting edge technologies such as Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, Istio, Jenkins, and Spinnaker.
The SRE manager leads and mentors a team of smart, diverse and driven engineers. You ensure we deliver the right solutions on time and with correctness by managing business, team and technical tradeoffs and priorities. You empower and develop your team technically and culturally but also have the technical chops to roll up your sleeves and implement hands-on alongside your team.
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the Namely platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, working on a cross-functional team to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, shape Namely’s engineering culture and have ample opportunities to grow and accelerate your career.
- Drive quarterly objectives to successful completion, working with managers and technical leadership across other engineering teams.
- Guide the team in designing and building the tools, frameworks, systems and processes that Namely engineers use to build, integrate, deploy, scale and manage their software.
- Dive in with hands-on implementation, especially in helping to unblock, pair with or strategically offload your team.
- Promote and implement best practices in observability (monitoring, tracing, alerting, logging) and high availability software engineering.
- Minimize risk of reliability-related failure outcomes as pertaining to durability, availability, performance, and correctness.
- Mentor the professional development of each SRE by helping them build and execute personal development plans that support business and personal goals.
- 2+ years in SRE or DevOps management roles, with a focus on tooling, automation and distributed systems development.
- 4+ years in SRE or DevOps overall
- 10+ years overall software industry experience.
- Experience managing agile processes and Sprint rituals, including prioritization, estimation and delivery
- A desire to stay on the cutting edge of infrastructure and automation technologies.
- Strong software development skills in at least one programming language. We use Go, Python, .NET Core.
- Production experience with infrastructure frameworks like Docker, Terraform and Kubernetes
- Production experience with AWS and Linux environments
Namely was founded in 2012 to create an HR platform as intuitive as social media, but powerful enough to support the complexity of today’s workforce. Our belief is that great companies are built on a great employee experience, which is why we created the first HR platform employees love to use. In fact, unlike most traditional HR software, 78% of our clients’ employees log in to Namely at least once per month! Namely is backed by some amazing VCs including Sequoia, and serves companies in just about every industry and state nationwide. We love mid-sized companies because they’re mission-driven, client-obsessed, and care deeply about their employees... just like us. We believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career, and we’re just getting started.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.