(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to empower the world’s developers. Every day, millions of developers come to us to get answers to their programming questions, collaborate better with their teams, and find their next dream job. As the world continues to transform with technology as a leading force, we’re driven to make Stack Overflow a place where everyone who codes feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
The Platform Engineering team at Stack Overflow builds low-level and heavy-lifting components, APIs, and services that are reused by our Product Engineering teams to deliver our ecosystem of products. As a Software Engineer on a cross-disciplinary team of product managers, SREs, and other engineers, you’ll design, deliver, and maintain the bedrock services powering products impacting millions of developers every day and shape the future of the largest community of developers on the planet. You’ll dive into troubleshooting services and interfaces operating at massive scale, while shaping the architectural future of our product ecosystem. Some recent projects we've been working on include:
- Creating a stand-alone Identity Management service to support our entire product ecosystem
- Overhauling our global question review system to enable our user community to moderate and improve over 20 million questions on our platform
- Designing architecture and services approaches to operate performantly at scale in the cloud
You'll work primarily in our main tech stack of C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server, with supporting technologies like Redis, TypeScript, and Elasticsearch. As a company dedicated to increasing developer knowledge, we’ll give you the resources and support you need to develop mastery in your craft.Skills and Requirements
We expect to see:
- Extensive programming skills in C# and .NET and a track record of getting stuff done. You are adept at shipping high quality, well-tested code in a fast paced environment.
- 3+ years of backend service and API development experience with any major server-side stack and relational database technology. Experience in our stack is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Deep experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, or Kanban. You’ve been on teams that practice Agile and you understand why it’s beneficial for the team. Certification is a plus, but not a requirement.
- A track record of mentoring less experienced developers and contributing to your team’s body of knowledge. You are eager to teach others and invested in the growth of your team.
- Self-motivating, self-directing, and a great communicator (written and oral). You thrive in an environment that grants you a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions.
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- An active Stack Overflow profile, open source code, example projects that you're proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog, podcasts, and other public artifacts. Ideas about how to evolve the platform and increase our impact on the developer community are even better.
- Experience with building high scale, community-based web applications with 6-figure monthly unique visitors or more. Skills working with large amounts of data or utilizing machine intelligence are a plus.
- Experience with leveraging cloud-native technologies and techniques to build product ecosystems
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and paid sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- 401K match
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunches, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening voluntarily Fall 2021), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successfully completing a background check and having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.#LIRemote #BI-Remote