Software Development Engineer II at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring software development engineers to join our Advertising Technologies team. The ideal candidate: You have acquired subject-matter expertise over one or more production software systems and demonstrated a pattern of shipping high quality feature changes in that or those system(s). You solve business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices. You deliver high-quality results the first time and improve code, documentation, and results with each iteration. Your team trusts your work.
- You are able to work autonomously to design and develop functional changes to existing software systems. You require little or no guidance by team members. You still actively seek input where appropriate and engage your team to inform and share what you are doing.
- You can collaborate with other engineers assisting on features another engineer designed or taking the lead on feature design yourself. Your software contributions are demonstrated to work in production, and your team trusts your decisions, designs, and code.
- You are able to describe and defend your design and code decisions to other engineers, embrace constructive feedback, and adapt your approach to align with team and company standards and objectives.
- You consistently demonstrated good software ownership practices (e.g. code reviews, code comments, etc) in all of your contributions. Your code reviews are uneventful, you prepare documentation proactively, and you ensure proper monitoring for operational excellence in production.
- You offer enhancements to best practices, document, design and architecture improvements, and as feedback through code reviews to other engineers without continuous prompting or recurring encouragement. Other engineers appreciate your feedback.
- You can troubleshoot a production issue by reviewing source code, logs, operational metrics, stack trace etc to pinpoint a specific problem and then resolve it.
- 4+ years working in a fast-paced software environment as an engineer focused on API driven services, supporting systems, and third-party vendor integrations
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance)
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate in a cross-functional environment with engineers and non-technical stakeholders
- Mastered one programming language. We mainly use Golang, but it’s okay if you don’t know it. We think that being a capable developer in one language implies you’d be able to get comfortable with most languages or environments
- Experience with API design, implementation and documentation
- Experience with CI/CD and familiar with Docker and Kubernetes
- Bonus: Experience with Golang, PHP, MongoDB, Kafka, AWS products, GRPC
Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]