Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Who We Are
The Direct to Consumer (DTC) Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery+, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers. Your written and oral communication skills are superb.
1. You are experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop complex functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new solutions and when to extend existing solutions.
2. You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
3. You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team. You understand how individual pieces of software fit into a greater ecosystem, and can actively communicate and advocate for choices among multiple stakeholders.
4. You are an effective communicator as exemplified by your technical documentation, and your interactions with stakeholders and adjacent teams. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
• Experience with databases
• Experience with building and maintaining backend services on public cloud platforms, such as Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure and preferably AWS
• Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance)
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Experience building or operating in a data pipeline, event-based architecture
• Operational experience (i.e. on-call rotation, incident response)
• Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
• Experience with DynamoDB
• Experience with Kinesis, Kafka or SNS
• Ability to collaborate effectively with remote peers across disparate geographies and timezones
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis on technical documentation (including diagramming)
• Strong CS fundamentals
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.