Software Development Engineer III at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery is looking for top engineering talent whose deep technical chops and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on Web, Android, iOS, tvOS & Roku. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient mobile, web, and connected TVs applications to millions of customers, then this is the Discovery team for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We are the Product Engineering technology group for Direct-2-Consumer USA business, and responsible for building media streaming Mobile & OTT applications for 18 brands. Backed up by modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS, our front-end applications build mobile experiences for search, catalogue, video streaming, personalization, subscriptions, payments, and really much more. Discovery is the largest provider of non-fiction network programming in the USA with channels like Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Oprah Winfrey Network, Cooking Channel, Food Network, Travel Channel, and many more (total of 18 Discovery GO brands). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable iOS apps that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
- You are hands-on and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers.
- You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
- You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
- You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
- Minimum of 8+ years of iOS experience including developing Mobile applications in Objective C or Swift.
- Experience with engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, profiling and performance tuning)
- Deep understanding of the nuances of the Apple ecosystem, different iOS versions of iOS, and how to effectively design & write code for a multitude of iOS, tvOS devices.
- Experience building modular apps with principles such as TDD, dependency injection, CI/CD, automated testing and deep understanding of architectures/frameworks such as MVVM, VIPER
- Experience in DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
- Strong computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Experience building modular apps with principles such as TDD, dependency injection & automated testing.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]