As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring senior software development engineers to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for test automation (QA-as-a-Service), strike a balance between feature velocity and product quality, architect and code quality assurance frameworks across multiple delivery pipelines, and establish best practices & processes which improve developer efficiencies and product quality.
The ideal candidate will also have a track record of having worked with multiple cross-functional teams and test activities as part of the overall product release pipeline. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
- Scope and Complexity: You have acquired subject-matter expertise over one or more production software systems and demonstrated a pattern of shipping high quality feature changes in that or those system(s).
- Decision Making: You solve business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices. You are able to lead the design and development of the most complex enhancements involving yourself and other engineers.
- Execution: You have built multiple stable, scalable feature changes that have been successfully shipped to customers in production.
- Operations Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a role model to other teams. Your software contributions in production are the model of highly available, low latency, and efficient software. Your documentation in code, on technical designs, and operations provide clarity to any engineer interacting with your software or its code.
- Influence You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
- Communication You are an effective communicator as exemplified by your technical documentation, and your interactions with stakeholder and adjacent teams. You can effectively represent the technical decisions from your team to senior stakeholders.
- 7+ years' software engineering experience
- Knowledge of various test activities across release pipelines to promote artifacts from dev to prod, including unit testing, regression testing, cert testing, client testing, etc.
- Experience driving technical feature design and implementation on test automation pipelines
- Ability to scout emerging industry trends such as AI testing and other best in class processes.
- Able to drive and steer discussions and meetings to achieve desired goals.
- Understanding of test cases, test data, test runs, and test results management that provides feedback and visibility to qualify & quantify test coverage.
- Ability to collaborate with technology resources on projects given solid understanding of current technologies and trends.
- Knowledge of industry best practices for technical documentation.
- Able to collaborate and work with development teams across multiple time zones and locations.
- Ability to focus both strategically and tactically to achieve business goals, including the use of data to drive improvements.
- AWS, Selenium, Watir, JIRA, Testrail, Apache test tools, cucumber, Docker, Grafana, Jenkins, Jenkins Pipelines, CircleCi, Appium, Confluence and JIRA admin tool experience
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States