Software Development Engineer IV at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Software Development Engineer IV
New York, NY, US, 10022-7240 New York, NY, US, 10012 Knoxville, TN, US, 37932 Silver Spring, MD, US, 20910-3354 Bellevue, WA, US, 98004
Date: Jul 2, 2021
Req ID: 2587
Who We Are
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group (DTC) is a technology company within Discovery that is responsible for building a global streaming video platform to support a broad collection of Discovery’s diverse brands around the world including Discovery, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science Channel, HGTV, Eurosport, MotorTrend, and many more.
DTC’s software engineering teams build applications for the web, mobile, tablets, connected TVs, consoles, and other streaming devices. Those applications are backed by a fleet of modern, cloud-native microservices deployed to Kubernetes within AWS. It is a fast-growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
What You'll Do
As an engineer in the Developer Automation group within DTC, you’ll be joining a group that is responsible for building a truly global, self-service platform to enable DTC’s growing number of engineering teams to build, test, deploy, and manage the complete operational life cycle of their services in a fully autonomous fashion.
Your role will focus on leading the development efforts of one or more portions of the platform core and the common platform services. You will help drive technical decision-making, particularly with regard to the architectural direction of the platform components. You’ll help solve problems related to complex cloud-infrastructure automation, multi-region networking, cross-cluster service meshes, authentication/authorization, and the management of large-scale Kubernetes cluster deployments across many AWS accounts.
As a lead engineer, you will help set the tone for how your team operates. You’ll emphasize modern, rigorous software development practices that emphasize testability, repeatability, and self-service automation. You’ll conduct code reviews and mentor more junior developers. You’ll openly collaborate with other teams’ leads and help raise the bar of engineering excellence across the entire organization.
Who You Are
You bring passion and enthusiasm to your engineering team. You have a track record of shipping quality code to production on a frequent and consistent basis. You thrive under minimal supervision with the ability to self-motivate and self-organize within the organizational structure. You have experience running production infrastructure that supports multiple systems in a scalable, stable, and performant manner. You measure everything, make decisions based on data, are consumer-obsessed, and take immense pride in your work.
Your Technical Skills
The ideal candidate for this role will have a wide breadth of experience across the entire software stack, as well as deep subject matter expertise in at least one technology from each of the following groups:
- Containerization & Container Orchestration at Scale (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Container Networking & Distributed Service Meshes (e.g. Istio, Linkerd)
- Cloud Infrastructure Automation (AWS strongly preferred) (e.g. CDK, Crossplane)
- Linux System Administration
- Distributed Systems Development (e.g. asynchronous communication patterns, consensus algorithms, distributed transactions)
- Services Programming (e.g. Go-lang, Java, Kotlin, Scala, Python, Ruby)
- Systems Programming (e.g. C, C++, Rust)
Your technical expertise should match well to the following:
- Experience leading the development of large-scale projects, e.g. breaking down tasks, delegating work, assisting in the creation of roadmaps and work back plans
- Deep understanding of distributed systems in Kubernetes
- Hands-on experience with multiple IaC tools (e.g. CDK, Terraform, Crossplane)
- Experience with some of the frameworks and tools our development teams use day to day (i.e. gRPC, Spring Boot, Kafka)
- Experience with the development and operation of high throughput, low-latency systems
- Hands-on experience with automating development workflow pipelines (CI/CD)
- Operational experience (i.e. on-call rotation, incident response)
- Ability to collaborate effectively with remote peers across disparate geographies and timezones
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis on technical documentation (including diagramming)
- Strong CS fundamentals