Software Development Manager III-iOS at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring a software engineering leader to join our team and lead the development and operations of our award-winning iOS app: Food Network Kitchen. You’ll be managing a team of talented iOS engineers, mostly based in New York. You’ll work closely with our product, design and engineer teams that are located in many offices throughout the world.
1. You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
2. Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
3. You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers and managers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and managers. You have mentored and managed other engineering managers successfully. Your team is capable and autonomous without your continuous oversight and decision making as a result of your coaching of your own managers and contributors.
4. You will lead agile ceremonies for your team, included but not limited to grooming, planning and stand ups. You will also be responsible for managing/tracking your team’s work in JIRA.
5. You are comfortable providing high-level estimates for your team’s work, while making assumptions on incomplete information and doing deeper dives with your team as requirements become clear.
6. You are proficient at owning your technical delivery teams roadmap, ensuring that it aligns with product needs and business goals while managing the teams overall capacity. You will plan and communicate release scope, and as tasks are delivered, provide production support there after.
7. You foster a culture of operational and engineering excellence ensuring a highly performant and stable product for users and fans. You are comfortable reporting on key metrics and incidents that lead to a highly success product delivery and operation. You will also participate in strategic planning and demonstrate good judgement in setting and delivering against strategic goals with key performace indicators.
8. You own the technical and non-technical quality of your product. This will be done largely through automation, including but not limited to unit, integration, and exploratory testing.
9. You lead by example and am excited about mentoring your individual contributors and other managers. You are comfortable teaching best practices and your team follows your lead because you are an inspirational leader.
10. You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers and managers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and managers. You have mentored and managed other engineering managers successfully. Your team is capable and autonomous without your continuous oversight and decision making as a result of your coaching of your own managers.
11. You create a culture of innovation, encouraging your team members to find new and better ways to achieve their goals. You foster an appropriate culture of tolerance for taking innovative risk.
* Experience leading in areas of strategic important demonstrating significant impact to those areas
* Proficiency in Swift
* Experience with Xcode IDE, Interface Builder and performance tools
* Experience with graphQL, REST, JSON, XML and interfacing iPhone/iPad/tvOS applications to service side APIs
* Expert in Apple principles and human interface guidelines
* Understanding of mobile encryption algorithms, analytics and marketing channel integrations
* Solid graphs of algorithms, memory management and re-time communications
* Comfortable with leading Agile practices
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States