As Software Development Manager (Engineering Manager) you will lead a team of committed Software Engineers to modernize our fulfillment platform by integrating with Salesforce Commerce Cloud and our ERP JD Edwards through Mulesoft. This work aligns with our strategic objectives to modernize our integration architecture with our external partners.
Casper (casper.com) was created to re-imagine sleep from the ground up, beginning with its obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress. All of Casper’s sleep products — including its pillow, bedding, and furniture — are developed in-house by the company’s award-winning R&D team in San Francisco. Casper was named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do...
- Manage a team of software engineers with a focus on business impact, scalable design, and robust technology.
- Partner with business stakeholders, program managers, and other Technology teams to enable, enhance, and support Casper's operations through the power of technology.
- Lead a Github-based code review process that produces elegant code, eliminates bugs, identifies and resolves all major security issues, and addresses scaling challenges.
- Lead a production change review process in order to ensure that all production changes are per company policies and standards, for regulated systems, and generally follow best practices for the others.
- Evaluate and prioritize workload for the team. Perform Sprint planning and see through execution. Act as an escalation point for support tickets as needed, and redirect feature programming effort to reduce operational load over time
- Actively participate in the planning process and Technology Design Review processes.
- Act as an SME for the systems in scope. Perform periodic analysis and improve the resilience and robustness of Operations Technology ecosystem.
- Lead solutions design exercises. Take a “platform-first” approach to software development and be comfortable with leveraging out of the box functionalities of ERP (JD Edwards) and Integration Platform (Mulesoft) while custom developing the unique requirements of our business.
- Own, build, and develop ongoing improvements of integration points and interfaces within the Operations Tech ecosystem including EDI integration and API integrations with various public and private APIs.
- Provide day to day leadership to the team and foster productive collaboration. Mentor and coach direct reports through professional development plans.
- Think of new ways to improve the business through technology, and be ready to take ownership over their implementation.
- 7 + years experience of custom software development within a business environment. Ecommerce, CPG, or other Supply Chain oriented industries are highly preferred.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience within a Supply Chain Technologies environment. Should have experience in integrating with an ERP platform through a middleware like Mulesoft. JDE experience and/or Mulesoft experience is a major plus.
- Proficient in web application frameworks and modern software development paradigms, in particular high-tempo CI/CD, chat ops, lean startup/enterprise and the agile methodology.
- Experience measuring tech team performance with SRE principles a big plus, in a general environment where data-informed management is highly prized.
- Proficient in Java and Ruby/Ruby-on-Rails programming languages.
- Has solid experience in working with APIs and systems integration. Mulesoft experience is a major plus.
- Experienced as a people manager successfully coaching direct reports into achieving team goals as well as individual goals.
- Experienced in building and contributing to diverse and inclusive environments.
- Has a degree in computer science or a STEM subject.
- Not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get into the code/configuration if necessary.
- Participation in our HQ bonus program for some splurging and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...)..
- Wellness programs like cash incentives for tracking sleep and fitness, credits for your favorite studios and in-office activities
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Catered lunches twice a week to give you time to catch up with your teammate
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- A full gifted bed set when you join and product discounts for friends and family!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!