Software Development Manager at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
- A communicator: Whether written or oral, your communication skills are outstanding in any context. Your interactions with stakeholders and coworkers move business forward in a dynamic, exciting, entrepreneurial working environment. You are as good – maybe better – at listening as you are at talking and writing.
- A problem-solver: You’re a results-oriented multi-tasker who runs toward a challenge. You’re able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and think independently. You are personally committed to completing a project with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through. You see to it that all assignments are completed correctly and uphold department and company standards.
- A leader: As a member of the technical management team, you are respected, and your counsel is sought by developers and nontechnical partners. You advise senior management and help socialize business and technical strategic decisions to the front-line engineers. You are an evangelist for coding best practices, style and good documentation. You are an effective manager of people and embrace all responsibilities – pleasant and otherwise – associated with performance management and ensuring your team has what it needs to succeed.
- Accountable: You are the greatest critic of what you deliver. You are proud of your work, and you stand by it. You are humbled but not defeated by failure and accept it as a critical part of learning. You are honest and never blame or project frustrations onto others.
You Will Take On The Following Responsibilities
- Train, motivate, and grow team members.
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence.
- Communicate cross-functionally across various teams, organizations and internal and external stakeholders to drive engineering efforts.
- Manage a team of software engineers, including task planning and code reviews.
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
- Contribute technically to projects via architecture, design, and hands-on implementation, in this role you may code up to 50% of your time.
- Tackle the complex and interesting challenge of discovering value hidden in the world’s data through software engineering.
You Should Possess The Following Qualifications
- 3+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience of teams with at least 5 direct reports
- You recognize the value of performance, reliability, and scalability of systems
- Anticipate technical issues and make architectural and design decisions to avoid them.
- An understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience with SCRUM methodology for agile software development preferred
- Recent experience with Java (or other JVM languages), Python, C or C++ (you should be comfortable taking coding assessments in our interview process).
- Extraordinary programming skills.
- Demonstrated experience in large-scale systems.
Competitive compensation packages | Generous Vacation, Sick time + 12 holidays to recharge & refuel | Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care | 403b retirement savings plan match | Tuition Reimbursement | 12 Weeks Maternity/Paternity & Adoption Assistance | Spending Account | Fitness Discounts & Wellness Program | Resource Networks | Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.