Software Engineer - Android
Latch is seeking an exceptional Android Engineer to join our engineering team! You will be an integral part of the Latch Android team that is responsible for feature design, debugging, and product maintenance of the Latch Android mobile applications. You will work within cross-functional feature teams and collaborate closely with firmware engineers, designers, and product managers.
As an Android Developer focused on connected devices, you will utilize Bluetooth Low Energy and other communication protocols to seamlessly link our hardware devices to our client apps and server software. You will refine and implement Android APIs that allow higher level code to access communication functionality in a simple manner. These APIs are used to create features like simple device setup, automatic data synchronization, and real time device coordination experiences.
Smart access isn’t about locking doors, it’s about opening up new possibilities. Latch is the world’s first fully integrated hardware and software system dedicated to bringing seamless access to every door in a modern building. We’re looking for the curious and the creative to join our team and help us continue to change the way we access our most valued spaces.
- Expertise in Java
- Knowledge of Android Design Patterns
- Strong preference for Test Driven Development
- Ability to evaluate solutions both in both pragmatic and ideal terms
- Command of algorithms, data structure, & design patterns as well as object oriented design principles
- Experience creating reusable components with elegant, intuitive interfaces
- Developing and consuming RESTful network APIs
- Beneficial to have skills in developing software for devices that use Bluetooth Low Energy in both a Central and Peripheral role
- Ability to improve performance via Instruments and other profiling tools
- Experience designing application level protocols
- Familiarity with agile work flow
- Ability to communicate effectively with interdisciplinary team
- BS (Required)/MS/PHD in Computer Science or related field
- At least 3 years of professional software development experience with Java
- At least 1 year of experience working with the Android SDK
- Strongly preferred to have been part of a team that released an Android app to the Google Play Store
- Strong understanding of software design, architecture, data-structures, multi-threading, testing, security, and performance
- Bonus: Experience releasing and managing Android apps in the Google Play Store
Founded in 2014, Latch is a venture-backed, high-growth organization that's on a mission to change the way people open, manage, and share their spaces. Today, 1 in 10 new developments in the U.S. depend on our full-building smart access solution to meet the needs of residents and property managers. We are a team of just over 200 employees, all of whom are passionate self starters with unique backgrounds and unexpected stories. We offer unlimited time off, a competitive health package, and the opportunity to work in a creative, dynamic, and fast-paced office environment. We are located just a quick walk from both Hudson Yards and Penn Station in New York City.
Applicant Privacy Notice