Software Engineer - Android at Latch
We are seeking an exceptional Senior Software Developer for Android to join our engineering team! You will be an integral part of the Latch Android team, which is responsible for the development of the Latch Android mobile applications. You will work within cross-functional feature and platform teams, collaborating closely with back-end developers, firmware engineers, product designers, and product managers.
As an Android Developer focused on connected devices, you will utilize Bluetooth Low Energy and other communication protocols to seamlessly link our hardware devices to our client apps and server software. You will refine and implement Android APIs that allow higher level code to access communication functionality in a simple manner. These APIs are used to create features like simple device setup, automatic data synchronization, and real time device coordination experiences.
Smart access isn’t about locking doors, it’s about opening up new possibilities. Latch is the world’s first fully-integrated hardware and software system dedicated to bringing seamless access to every door in a modern building. We’re looking for the curious and the creative to join our team and help us continue to change the way we access our most valued spaces.
- Design, debug, and maintain features in Kotlin
- Employ Android best practices through architectural components, design patterns, and standardized libraries
- Follow principles of Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- Improve performance via instrumentation and other profiling tools
- Evaluate solutions both in both ideal and pragmatic terms
- Create reusable components with elegant, intuitive interfaces
- Consume and develop RESTful network APIs
- Think like a product manager and advocate for the user
- Communicate effectively with interdisciplinary teams
- Mentor other software engineers
- BS (Required)/MS/PHD in Computer Science or related field
- At least 5 years of professional software development experience, with mix of Kotlin and Java
- At least 3 years of experience working with the Android SDK
- Deep understanding of software design, architecture, data structures, multi-threading, testing, security, performance
- Command of algorithms, data structures, design patterns, object-oriented design principles
- Strongly preferred to have been part of a team that released an Android app to the Google Play Store
- Familiarity with Agile and Lean development practices
- Bonus: Experience with Android Jetpack, RxJava, Dagger2, Realm
- Bonus: Developed software for devices that use BLE or NFC, in both a Central and Peripheral role
- Bonus: Direct experience releasing and managing Android apps in the Google Play Store
Founded in 2014, Latch is a venture-backed startup building the world’s first complete smart access system. We now boast over 200 employees, all of whom are all passionate self starters with unique backgrounds and unexpected stories. We are located just a quick walk from Penn Station in New York City, and a ten minute walk from CalTrain in SOMA San Francisco.
We offer unlimited Paid Time Off, a competitive health package, and an office environment where employees are surrounded by creative, empowered, and dynamic peers. There is no better time to join us. As we grow as a company, we are excited to see our employees grow with us.