Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building features that developers love!
DigitalOcean’s Storage Team is a remote team that builds and operates cloud-scale distributed storage powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly, easily, and safely as possible.
What You’ll Be Doing:
The Storage Systems Team supports the operations and development of the data persistence layer of storage products. Members of Storage Systems have a combination of responsibilities for the persistence software of DigitalOcean’s storage products as well as the lifecycle of hardware nodes inclusive of evaluation, certification, provisioning, and ongoing systems management. We are looking for an Engineer who will work on a small team to develop and support current and future storage platforms at scale. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to make impactful contributions to key softwares, contribute to the open source community, and debug interesting problems at scale and in real-word production environments. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Storage team. This position is currently only available remotely.
- Supporting the operations and management of distributed systems
- Programming in Go, C++, and other languages
- Collaborating with an agile, self-motivated team of peers
- Consuming from and contributing to free/open source software communities
- Solving interesting problems at cloudscale in a technically rewarding environment
- Experience developing, testing, and executing code (Bonus: Go and/or C++)
- Experience with Linux operating systems and familiarity with networking fundamentals
- Familiarity with HTTP and structured text formats such as JSON
- Familiarity with containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with concurrency / parallelism models in a modern programming language
- Bonus: Familiarity with TLS, DNS, basic IP semantics, and routing protocols
- Bonus: Familiarity automation and orchestration tools such as Ansible, Chef and/or Salt
- Bonus: Familiarity with the conceptual use of data stores such as relational databases, key-value stores, timeseries, full-text search engine, and message queues
- Bonus: Familiarity with RPC, gRPC, S3, and distributed storage systems such as Ceph
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!