Software Engineer, Cloud at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition, to the open source version of the DB we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy.About the Role
CockroachDB provides the backbone of storing data on a global scale. We are looking for experienced software engineers with experience in tool development and driving automation to join our team. The team is responsible for creating tools for customers who deploy and maintain CockroachDB in their on premises deployment of CockroachDB. You will work closely with the SRE team responsible for CockroachCloud, the self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB. Approximately half of your time doing greenfield development work, with the other portion looking at the tools practices in CockroachCloud that can be provided to our customer managed deployments.You Will
- Provide software for managing the infrastructure for on customer premise hosting of CockroachDB for our external customers.
- Design, write and deliver software and systems to increase product reliability and organizational efficiency.
- Develop custom tools as necessary.
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot the automation and monitoring of production clusters to maximize performance and availability.
In the first month, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. You will become familiar with our existing internal and customer-facing production systems use to run and deploy CockroachDB. Working with product and engineering, you will assess our production operations and how they can be applied to customers who are running CockroachDB in their own environment. Our customers run CockroachDB in the major public cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure) and private datacenters. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be a fully-fledged member of the team. The majority of our customers use Kubernetes to manage their deployments. A large portion of your time will be spent working with Kubernetes and creating custom tools to make the deployment of CockroachDB easy.You Have
- Expertise in analyzing, monitoring, and deploying Software.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python. Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- Proficiency working with algorithms, data structures, and production troubleshooting.
- Debugged and optimized code and to automate routine tasks.
- Working knowledge of web and network protocols and standards (HTTP, TLS, DNS, etc.)
- Experience with orchestration software such as Kubernetes, Terraform, or Pulumi
- 5 or more years experience in software development.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Juan Leon - Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineering
Juan has spent a couple of decades working on computing at scale, first in academia, then back and forth between Tech and Finance. He started out teaching large scientific simulations to survive computer failures, which led to managing quantitative financial risk (large monte-carlo simulations) at a big bank during the great recession. Once the daily threat of bankruptcy was gone, he moved to writing scalable messaging systems at Google, where he saw and converted to the SRE religion, which he evangelized at the largest hedge fund for two years, before he regained his senses and joined Cockroach. Cockroach is irresistible to lovers of scale, bringing scalable reliable data to millions of enterprises in a scalable and reliable way. When Juan can pull himself away, he likes to hike, camp, ride bicycles and pretend he runs an Uber driving his children to myriad venues and events (pre-COVID).
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano and search NYC for cannolis with his wife and kids.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]