Software Engineer, Consumer Experience
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our Consumer Experience Pod on Group Nine Media’s Tech team in New York City, NY.
Group Nine Media is the parent company of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink and travel (Thrillist), news and entertainment (NowThis), animals and activism (The Dodo) and science, tech and exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion video views every month, meaning that the work you do here will be impactful and geared towards informing our readers on topics that matter.
We are a team of people from various social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds who value professional development and work/life balance. It’s our belief that our team and our work are both made better by our diversity. If this sounds like you, keep reading!
More about this role
As a software engineer on the Consumer Experience Pod, you’ll push the limits of our publishing platforms in order to tell meaningful and visually-stunning stories on Group Nine Media’s mission-driven brands: NowThis News, The Dodo, Thrillist, and Seeker.
Some of the questions/considerations you might face in this role might include:
- How do we implement impactful designs with web performance and clean, concise code in mind?
- As Group Nine Media grows, how do we continue to build our codebase in a sustainable and scalable way?
- How can we collaborate effectively with the Design and Product teams to make informed technical decisions and find creative solutions for each project?
- Should we use an existing library or write our own?
These are the main technologies and tools that we use on our team:
- Server-side: CakePHP, PHP7
- Build: Webpack, NPM
- Workflow: GitHub, Jira, Confluence
Are you the one we’re looking for?
The ideal candidate:
- Has at least 2-3 years of professional experience as a software developer.
- Has a strong background in web technologies, including a deep understanding of how a modern web application works end-to-end and how to optimize performance under heavy traffic
- Is interested in innovative and creative ways to tell digital and multimedia stories
- Thrives in a diverse workplace where knowledge-share and professional development is an important part of our culture
- Loves collaborating with our design and product team members to find technical solutions for each project
- Is endlessly curious about how and why things work
- Advocates for clean, concise code and internal documentation
- Is interested in open-source and contributing to the community
How to apply
Your application should include a resume that clearly shows us why you’re our ideal candidate. Optionally, if you do not check off every bullet point in this job description but feel like you’d be a great fit for this role, apply anyway and attach a cover letter and elaborate on why you want to join us and any skills you have that we didn’t mention that you think will contribute to your success in this role. Hope to hear from you soon!
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, life insurance, short and long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.