Software Engineer (Core Applications and Services) at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than ever before to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Our team is small but growing, and you will be a huge part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to tackle problems.
As a Software Engineer on the Core Apps and Services team you will work on the most experienced team in the company to build and support the most critical systems. Your task will be to provide outstanding reliability as well as usable APIs that provide leverage for the rest of the product engineering teams. This team is the sole owner of the services it works on and generally builds things from end to end. As a result it operates as a full product team with its own Product Manager and with product engineering teams as customers. Some examples of current projects the team owns:
- Authentication and Authorization to protect the financial information of our customers and help product engineering teams build features that serve new types of customers like real estate agents.
- Kafka messaging libraries to help product engineering teams get and give access to data across microservices.
- Configuration management
- We ship code 50-100 times every day
- Node.js, Python (3), and GoLang for services
- Ember.js, React, Typescript on the frontend
- ES6 across the stack
- Postgres for the database, Redshift for our Data warehouse
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops
- AWS for infrastructure, using EKS, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience in coding in at least one modern lang such as Python, Java, Scala, Node.js
- 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and existing systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling)
- Experience in building sophisticated production software systems
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop other team members including junior software engineers
- Experience defining system architecture(s) and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs and capabilities
- Startup attitude, ownership, and a proper balance of quality and sense of urgency
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.