Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team
The data engineering team owns critical pieces of the machine learning and analytics platforms. This team helps to build data processing infrastructure to derive insights from billions of location data points every day. Help us build and collaborate with Product, Engineering, and Data Science teams to create tools and processes to bring research and machine learning models to production.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Influence key decisions on architecture and implementation of scalable data processing and analytics structure
- Work with the Data Science team to bring machine learning models into production
- Build Hadoop MapReduce and Spark processing pipelines using Java, Python, and Ruby
- Build REST APIs for data access by systems across our infrastructure
- Focus on performance, throughput, and latency, and drive these throughout our architecture
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, and take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production
- Build and run Big Data processing pipelines.
- BS/BA in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience
- 1-4 years of software development experience
- Proficiency in Python, Java, C#, and/or Ruby
- Experience with Hadoop MapReduce and/or Spark data processing pipelines, analytics systems (e.g. OLAP, BI tools), and machine learning technologies
- Experience operating systems in AWS
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate data-driven insights
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.