Software Engineer, Detection
At White Ops, we’re all hackers. This doesn’t mean you have to hold a key to the internet (although one of our founders does!), but it does require approaching problems in unconventional ways. We are attacking criminal botnets through the ad fraud that finances their operations. Our proprietary technology detects and prevents sophisticated online fraud. By reducing the incentives for crime, we are making the internet a better place. Our mighty team of humans have several things in common:
We are hackers.
We create tau for ourselves and each other.
We think big and move fast.
We practice humility.
We “pwn it”.
What we do:
We keep the internet safe by fighting organized cybercrime. Our products accurately detect and prevent even the most sophisticated bots and our customers include some of the web's largest and most forward-thinking companies.
Our team of engineers is friendly, curious, driven, and highly collaborative. We support one another and regularly hold code reviews to facilitate learning and reduce friction during our 2-week releases. We strive for clean and readable code. Our engineers also work closely with other teams in the company, including creative, product, and customer support.
As a detection engineer at White Ops, you will be developing techniques for identifying non human activity and software that applies those techniques in a production environment. This includes remote detection of malware and similar forms of organized cybercrime. There is an active adversary, continuously attempting to defeat our algorithms, and to sometimes interfere directly with our capabilities and tech stack.
What you'll do:
- Threat modeling: how would you game the system - taking a systematic approach to understanding the incentives of a system, as well as its payment triggers and potential bad actors, and presenting the characteristics and behaviors of those models.
- Raw signal development: this is where the detection team thrives and requires some level of creative problem solving. The better the technical signal we can extract from different environments, the stronger our detection and prevention abilities are.
- Marker development: markers are our core algorithms that take in raw signal and output a decision. We are continuously developing markers for various types of fraud, specific bots, malware packages, and other things. This is the heart of the system.
- Threat Intel and attribution: this area of research involves taking all the data we have and exploring attribution to software, malware, and sometimes actors. It will also involve applying data science techniques to detect potential false negatives, false positives, and signs of adversary adaptation, as well as reverse engineering applicable malware and bot samples for new detection leads.
- Software Development. A lot of the output of detection results in pushing code to production. We must do this in way that allows for rapid experimentation of signal without compromising safety or potential impact to end users. The system must also be secure and minimize the attack surface to compromise our payload for delivery of malware.
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to solve the challenges involved in protecting the Internet. Our dynamic team of humans have incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace.
Who you are:
- Past experience in Fraud/Abuse, Ad Tech, or Security
- Past experience working with very large data sets
- Strong software development experience
- Clear communication with humans
- Track record of independent, creative problem solving
- Strong understanding of how browsers, and mobile applications work
- Track record for solving complex security problems
About White Ops:
Our mission is to protect the internet by verifying the humanity of every online transaction. Founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore, we now serve trillions of monthly decisions for some of the web’s largest platforms. Our technology protects digital advertisers, publishers, ad tech, and enterprise businesses globally by detecting and blocking bots. It’s an ongoing war that we happily fight every day.
Life at White Ops:
Our HQ office is centrally located in NYC in the heart of the Flatiron District. We had approximately 100% headcount growth in the past year and we are growing the company deliberately, with a keen eye towards maintaining a culture that values diversity, lifestyle, and career growth. We are doing meaningful work and we need people to join our mighty team. We are proud of our overwhelmingly positive presence on Glassdoor and Built in NYC. We have offices located in NYC, DC, Victoria, and London.
We have many world class customers who use our platform • We're focused and propelled by a substantive mission • We're building a very sophisticated product that fights a real threat to humanity • We're committed to building a product companies need • We have created an environment that optimizes your skills and brings out your best work •